• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Xperia z battery issue

2eagle5

Lurker
I've just bought Xperia z and everything seems to work fine except the battery life..
The battery had obviously problems (discharging while charging and playing a game)
so I went back to the store and the next day after they checked it out they replaced it..
The 2nd one hasn't shown yet that kind of problems but..
Just to be cautious I did some kind of test myshelf:
I charged while it was off, then turned it on and opened only one app chrome and started surfing online with Wifi (3g/4G all closed and no call made and NO other external apps were installed or running at that time).
And while I was surfing I took note of the battery percentage from time to time..
So this is my "timeline":
95% 11:05
90% 11:20
89% 11:23
88% 11:25
77% 12:00
73% 12:27

Does this battery consumption looks normal?

It seems a bit high. At that rate (assuming prety linear discharge, which it should be), you'll totally kill the battery in 6 hours. (And the phone will shut off before it lets you kill the battery.)

Try it again, but this time, turn on airplane mode, and turn wifi on, then charge it, run Chrome, etc. The 2G radio was probably still on, and if you're getting a weak (or no) 2G signal, that can kill the battery pretty quickly.

But if you're expecting no drop in battery while you're running the phone on the charger, remember - it's a battery charger, not an external power supply for the phone. If it's not supplying as much current as the phone is using (and a lot of chargers of various manufacturers don't), the net effect is to discharge the battery - just more slowly.

It seems a bit high. At that rate (assuming prety linear discharge, which it should be), you'll totally kill the battery in 6 hours. (And the phone will shut off before it lets you kill the battery.)

Try it again, but this time, turn on airplane mode, and turn wifi on, then charge it, run Chrome, etc. The 2G radio was probably still on, and if you're getting a weak (or no) 2G signal, that can kill the battery pretty quickly.

But if you're expecting no drop in battery while you're running the phone on the charger, remember - it's a battery charger, not an external power supply for the phone. If it's not supplying as much current as the phone is using (and a lot of chargers of various manufacturers don't), the net effect is to discharge the battery - just more slowly.

I did it and still the same thing happens:

(only chrome and small app running for taking note of progress)
45% 16:34
40% 16:47
38% 16:52

Should I return it again?

How long have you had the device? It's my experience that the battery level monitors take several charge/use cycles to reach any level of accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom