• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Newbie Questions re Upgrade Gingerbread

Hello

I am in the UK and have just completed the upgrade of my SGS GT-I9000 from FROYO to GINGERBREAD and have the following questions:

1 all the shortcuts, folders and widgets have gone from my homepages. Is that normal with an upgrade?

2 Is there a quick way to replace all my widgets, folders and shortcuts without a long press/shortcuts/applications for every single widget and shortcut?

3 On a different subject, why is it that call recorders do NOT work on the SGS GT-I9000? Do they work an ANY Android phone and if they do why do they not work on ALL Android phones because they are all ANDROID are they not? (Have tried Totall Recall, Allcallrecorder and Callrecorder and yes they record from the phone's mic but not from the line....could always ask the caller to SHOUT I suppose).

4 I use Jorte calendar and after setting my customisation choices it sometime later reverts to all the default settings and I then have go go all through the process again of selecting my choice customisations.

This phone/operating system is annoying.

Can I just ask how you upgraded to gingerbread?

Did you do it via Kies because for some reason Kies still doesnt find an upgrade for me? But people everywhere seem to be getting the upgrade?

I remember when I updated my current SGS to Froyo all my short cuts and widgets moved from the home page. So it looks like it happens after all upgrades? Quite annoying.....

Upvote 0
Hello

I am in the UK and have just completed the upgrade of my SGS GT-I9000 from FROYO to GINGERBREAD and have the following questions:

1 all the shortcuts, folders and widgets have gone from my homepages. Is that normal with an upgrade?

2 Is there a quick way to replace all my widgets, folders and shortcuts without a long press/shortcuts/applications for every single widget and shortcut?

3 On a different subject, why is it that call recorders do NOT work on the SGS GT-I9000? Do they work an ANY Android phone and if they do why do they not work on ALL Android phones because they are all ANDROID are they not? (Have tried Totall Recall, Allcallrecorder and Callrecorder and yes they record from the phone's mic but not from the line....could always ask the caller to SHOUT I suppose).

4 I use Jorte calendar and after setting my customisation choices it sometime later reverts to all the default settings and I then have go go all through the process again of selecting my choice customisations.

This phone/operating system is annoying.

Hey dude, I'll try and answer your questions as best i can...

1: Yes, thats perfectly normal.

2: There are apps that do this, but you would have had to installed one prior to the upgrade, Im afraid its too late now.

3: Haven't a clue on this one Im afraid.

4: When I upgraded initially from 2.2 to 2.2.1, I had an issue where, upon restarting the phone, my apps would all act as though they were starting up for the first time (displaying licence info etc), and would not remember all my settings. In the end, the solution was to factory reset my phone. This is something that I've since learned to do before and after any firmware update, as it simply means you get a nice clean and fresh install. People bitch cuz you will loose all your apps and contact data etc. But just make a list of apps, and sync contacts, calendar etc. with google. Then, once you have wiped the phone, a re-sync is all it takes to get contacts etc back and ya simply connect to wifi and re-download all apps. wont take as long as you might imagine.

- R4nd0mj0k3r

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones