• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hi, sorry but never had a phone like this before (used Nokias all my life) so I have a few probably silly questions.

1. Do I get charged for having MMS & Data turned on and Data Roaming?
2. My husband uses a Nokia and likes to send me calendar invites all the time but they come through just as texts on my Sony Ericsson, is there anything I can do about this other than manually add the invite into my calendar myself?
3. Can I change just my reminder sound? I can see how to change the notification sound but that then changes my text sound as well. I would like my reminder sound to ring for ages so that I actually hear it!
4. Is there a way to add more than 1 contact to a text?

I'm sure to the Xperia expert these are all silly questions but I didn't find the instruction manual very good!

Thanks
Claire.

Hi Claire, no worries! I was a bit confused when I got my phone at the end of last year. Mobile phones all share a similar set of features they need to do their job, so it won't be too steep a learning curve for basic functions.

1. You don't get charged for having them turned on, with the exception of data roaming if you're abroad and you have data traffic on in the background. So be sure to deactivate it if you do leave the country. I get charged for every MMS I send (O2 contract), but the idea of having a smart phone is to use social media like facebook, and email to send people pictures and sounds etc.

2. I don't really use the calendar feature a great deal so I'm no authority on the matter.
3. You can get hold of apps which allow you to manipulate notification and text sounds, but again, I haven't really needed to use this, so I can't point you in the right direction.
4. If you're using the standard text message app, you add multiple recipients by pressing the menu button (the left button with the four squares) and add as many as you like :)

Hope this helps!

D

Upvote 0
Hi Shangriblah

Thanks for the post.

1. I have checked my mobile account and internet is not part of my price plan so whilst I understand there's no charge to have these services switched on if I browse the internet then I will be charged for that.
2. No worries. I am going to guess that the calendar function I am on about was just a Nokia thing so probably will never work with my SE.
3. OK understand.
4. Cool!

Claire.

Upvote 0
Do you not have any data allowance? Thats pretty harsh for a smart phone! Or do you have an existing contract and have purchased the new handset?

There is a way round the calendar thing, you can sync the calendar into microsoft outlook or the equivalent from your husband's nokia, and then export those to your google account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones