• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Newbie with an Android Market/apps question, please help

I was wondering if its possible to sync apps obtained from other unofficial sources with the Android market so that I can get updates for those apps.

For example:

Let's say I want the 'Call Your Folks' paid version app available in the Market. My cousin tells me he already has it and sends it to me via email. The 'appbrain' app later tells me that there is an update available for Call your folks. However, when I'm redirected to the Market after clicking the update button in appbrain, it doesn't show that i have it installed and instead shows the 'buy for whatever price' button instead of the update button. Is there a way to change this?

BTW sorry if this thread was posted in the wrong place

Let's say I want the 'Call Your Folks' paid version app available in the Market. My cousin tells me he already has it and sends it to me via email.

Let's say I want to buy a new computer. My cousin tells me "Hey, here's a key to the front door of the computer store. Don't buy a computer, just walk in and take one."

Yeah, that's called stealing. You should pay the developer for their hard work making a useful app.

Solution: Buy the application!

Upvote 0
That's brazen.. you want updates on an app you stole. Man, you have some cojones!

Let's say I want to buy a new computer. My cousin tells me "Hey, here's a key to the front door of the computer store. Don't buy a computer, just walk in and take one."

Yeah, that's called stealing. You should pay the developer for their hard work making a useful app.

Solution: Buy the application!

You are both right, i didn't look at it like that for some reason but the computer analogy really drove the point home lmao ill buy the app :D

Upvote 0
FYI, if you create a market link to pirated apps through let's say Titanium Backup, the minute you try to get an update it'll bring you to the app purchase screen.

Found that out after I got rid of the Amazon Market and wanted to link one of the paid apps of the day to the Official Android Market. I'm pretty sure google runs a quick cross check to see if that paid app is in your purchase list before it just hands you an update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones