• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Newbie X2 OS question

jbg123

Lurker
First off hey to everyone. New here and hope to learn a lot. I just read the whole article about Samsung winning the ok to sell the new Nexus "mini" for now that will have the new Android OS, Jelly bean. I want to know what I have, Gingerbread/Icecream Sandwich, what gives ? I know you have to do the entire OS update through a Wifi connection if I'm not mistaken, but I'm used to normal PCs and basically installing whatever you want, what else can be gained if anything from my phone I have now until I can upgrade in a year.. Thanks for the help. Jon

Thanks for the reply. I'm fairly certain I have 2.3 "stock" but do I have to Root it to get a newer OS ? Or is there a way to get a newer one without going the root route ?

fairly certain? there are three versions
2.3.3, 2.3.4, and 2.3.5
you need 2.3.4 rooted with petes root tools
to flash most custom roms like cm10

To note in addition our phone will stay on 2.3.4 or 2.3.5 "officially". Motorola is not going to upgrade our phones to Ice Cream Sandwich or Jellybean. What we have with CM9 or CM10 is a version of ICS/Jellybean that is still based on the gingerbread kernel. So at the core it will still be 2.3.4 even though we can enjoy the benefits of Google Now for instance.

Back