• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Newest OTA update and root

FLAWLESSVW

I'm getting prompted for an update (8.95mb system enhancement). I am rooted (will be flashing a rom when time permits but just root for now).

Should I take this update? I don't want to lose root...

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

I'm getting prompted for an update (8.95mb system enhancement). I am rooted (will be flashing a rom when time permits but just root for now).

Should I take this update? I don't want to lose root...

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

What carrier you on? I know of the one for sprint where it should say it is a update for personalize.

What carrier you on? I know of the one for sprint where it should say it is a update for personalize.

Sorry on Boost.

Something happened without me knowing because my phone is COMPLETELY back to stock. I didn't accept the update at all, I clicked "Later" (only option other than to install it) and EVERYTHING is gone, like the day I bought it. Unfortunately haven't had a chance to CWM it so looks like I'm SOL. VERY pissed at the moment. :confused:

I'm not sure what happened but a 9mb update shouldn't have did it. It also should have prompted you to install it where if you didn't allow it, it shouldn't have went through. The other things is it won't update if you aren't on the stock recovery any way.

I agree 2fast. NO clue.

I still have root and Titanium Backup installed, but that's it. What in the world could have made the phone just decide to wipe everything???

If it's a possible defect, I'll exchange it asap depending on your guys' thougts?

Hang on a second.
I decided it's a GREAT time to CWM now before this happens again (time is precious - didn't do it soon enough last time)...

Went to download, and saw the Author=2fast4u88 (recalled that from rooting then, and it all came back to me).. You're the dude! :) I'm glad to have the right people on my thread so far!

lol how about you clarify something for me as I am confused. Did you not have cwm installed when it prompted for this update? If not how did you get root working? I am trying to piece the stuff together but a little on the confused side as to your setup and what may have caused it.

How ever I don't see it being a hardware issue or the phone more then likely wouldn't work period. If I had to guess the ota went through if you were on the stock recovery, your factory resest it somehow (If you have kids or something like that hit it) Though honestly I am a little lost.

lol how about you clarify something for me as I am confused. Did you not have cwm installed when it prompted for this update? If not how did you get root working? I am trying to piece the stuff together but a little on the confused side as to your setup and what may have caused it.

How ever I don't see it being a hardware issue or the phone more then likely wouldn't work period. If I had to guess the ota went through if you were on the stock recovery, your factory resest it somehow (If you have kids or something like that hit it) Though honestly I am a little lost.

Haha... my bad. So I did the "Root Only" method in this thread http://androidforums.com/evo-design-all-things-root/606293-htc-evo-design-4g-all-carriers-root-guide.html UP TO the Chapter Two: Root Only and stopped there because it was 2am on a work night :) If you check that thread, I believe I stopped short of the CWM portion. So I unlocked bootloader, etc, rooted and that was it. Does that clarify any? My wife picked it up to play Hill Climb Racing and said "wait... what just happened", so she is certainly suspect!!!

Back to the OTA thing.... I have Boost and am rooted on stock... a couple weeks after rooting i kept getting a prompt for an OTA update.

anyone know what the update might help? i don't wanna lose root so i haven't even thought about installing it....
however, if it helps fix a few things then i may go for it.

im guessing i wouldnt be able to do it anyways because i have CWM?

Boost shipped with ics, the only way for root with out cwm would be doing the fastboot image. Which I don't suggest to use as it is old. The reason your phone wiped the data is you got the new firmware ota that updated a good bit of stuff I had to guess. It would have been bigger then 9mb if I recall though.

So in turn you are probably back up to date. If not run all updates, install cwm and I will post a working flashable root zip.

As for the other question stock recovery is needed for ota's, or at least the ones I have received. So in turn you need to go back to stock recovery. If you download the file and post it I will look at the update though.

Something is still not right. After the last time it wiped itself (where I only had root and not CWM per link above) I went ahead and put CWM on the phone and got everything back to "normal". This morning it randomly rebooted itself (has done that a handful of times) and is just stuck on the white "HTC" boot screen. I can boot into the bootloader and then go into CWM, but I can't run a (fresh) backup in CWM - at the end it says "Can't mount /data!"

I haven't tried running a restore yet (it's several days old but can try it in a pinch).

Any suggestions before I try to restore with CWM? I can't get it past this damn HTC screen. What do you guys think is causing this?

Trying to restore, looks like that is not going to work either. I get an error saying

Can't mount /system!
E: Error in /cache/recovery/log
(I/O error)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated since I'm completely down at the moment. :(

Back