• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Next steps with this whole "phone thing"...;-D

dhbuckley

Aug 29, 2010
So, I'm posting this because my 1st gen Turbo has been the most functional and responsive phone I've ever had and this forum, with its unusually helpful and technically aware members has been so useful. I've tried to give back a bit in my little way. Always been Android, always Moto, unfortunately always Verizon for connectivity reasons.

1. My battery life is okay but somewhat declining; replace battery myself not an option, cost for official change seems unreasonable;

2. OS is stuck on 5.1.1; Verizon: "This device will be upgraded to the Android 6 (Marshmallow) release of Android, pending partner support" is not unlike my 16 year old son who says "I'm coming", like Christmas in July;

3. The "Moto TransPhonemers" (More than meets the ear?? ;-) with their expensive clip on toys seems uncompelling but I'm not going Sammy and I love many Moto features like lifting or just looking at phone to see alerts, tailored activation phrase, would do Moto Z Force 64gb

4. Pixel XL seems compelling but price is very high, it is unavailable directly from G now and BT issues seem real, also no wireless charging is ridiculous.

What have all you smart people done about moving on to your next smartphone!!

Anyway, thanks for opining at your leisure.

Best,

David

I moved on to the Turbo 2 when it became available. I got it through Moto maker. I was one of the purple line people. I was on the phone with four different departments for FOUR HOURS before they worked out a replacement with a new phone. This one tied in a water pail and I got a new one through Verizon with no hassle.

The Turbo 2 camera is the best phone camera I have ever used.

Someone in the Turbo 2 forum reported he got one for $200 through Swappedia.

I did not see a significant improvement to the Moto Z and did not upgrade when it became available. *They should have given the massive discount to Turbo 2 owners that they gave to owners of competitor devices.

One remaining observation ... it is a new Motorola and what attracted many of us to the old Motorola was that they were on the leading edge of hardware and software. I hoe they get their act together.

... Thom

Reactions: dhbuckley
Upvote 0
I am fine without wireless charging - it was nice to have, but not necessary, and plug-in charging is better for the phone anyway (less heat, more efficient charging of the battery.) With quick charging technologies these days, a few minutes plugged in adds hours of use - I'm fine with that.

If I was buying a phone today, it would be a Pixel. 5.5" display phones are larger than I want my phone to be, and I prefer having updates frequently and without whatever buffer prevents Moto/Verizon from providing these updates on a timely basis. And I'd buy from Google (and wait for the backorder) because I prefer not to have unnecessary bloatware installed on my phone.

We are all different, though, so find what's best for you!

Reactions: dhbuckley
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones