• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 10 - handwriting to text

rdwy47

Lurker
I've just acquired a Nexus 10.

I had expected that I would be able to use it to create proper text notes by 'writing' on the screen with a stylus. I had been able to do so using the Galaxy Note in a shop before I purchased the Nexus 10 and (perhaps foolishly) presumed that I would be able to do the same thing with the Nexus 10.

I cannot find the relevant application. I thought that it was S-Note but I cannot find the relevant application in Play Store.

I should be grateful for any advice or comments about how to convert my handwriting to text.

Finally is it essential to have any particular type of stylus or S-Pen?

Thank you

Not sure a stylus will work on the Nexus 10 (could well be wrong though as it's not something I've ever looked into)

The Note is pretty much named so because of the stylus function, The "S" apps being Samsungs own apps, S Note etc. The Nexus is made by Samsung yes but there is no Samsung branding on the device out of the box, it's a pure vanilla Android tablet.

Hopefully someone will come along and point you in the right direction, sorry I couldn't be any more help.

Welcome to the forums RDWY :hello:

I have used a stylus on mine for things like photoshop. Never tried handwriting. I found an app that reviews seem to think work great but its $10. 7notes. I don't know how it would work on the N10.

Well here's someone that says it works great.

I had expected that I would be able to use it to create proper text notes by 'writing' on the screen with a stylus. I had been able to do so using the Galaxy Note in a shop before I purchased the Nexus 10 and (perhaps foolishly) presumed that I would be able to do the same thing with the Nexus 10.

Samsung uses their S-Pen technology to provide good handwriting using their stylus. Everyone else uses a finger or a stylus that mimics a finger (including the Nexus 10, as even though it's Samsung made, it doesn't include the S-Pen technology because it's a Google device). I equate the difference between the two as writing with a pen and writing with a crayon.

On the Nexus 10, using a stylus and handwriting will always feel like you are writing with a crayon, and I've tried numerous note taking apps, including the free 7notes (records your handwriting, but doesn't provide recognition ... the mazec version that does appears not to support Nexus 10 yet). I find the handwriting to be marginally useful, and can honestly type on the screen faster than I can write on it with the handwriting lag and crayon like motions required.

One of my colleagues has the Note 10 inch and that's the one thing I like about it that the Nexus 10 doesn't have.

I've just acquired a Nexus 10.

I cannot find the relevant application. I thought that it was S-Note but I cannot find the relevant application in Play Store.

I should be grateful for any advice or comments about how to convert my handwriting to text.

Finally is it essential to have any particular type of stylus or S-Pen?

Thank you

Like you I got suckered into buying this Nexus 10 thinking that it did all the things that the Galaxy Note does. I cannot wait to the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 10.1 comes out

Back
Top Bottom