• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 4 EOL,... When?

2prevail

Android Enthusiast
Every smartphone reaches a point where it is no longer officially supported to receive further software updates & so forth. This stage in the phones life is called the EOL (end of life). I love my nexus 4 and to this day it still runs better than most phones but I can't help but feel like it's chapter may be coming to an end soon ( as far as Google is concerned, thank goodness for cyanogenmod and the dev community ). I believe that 4.5 lollipop or whatever the next big update is to android will be this phone's last. What do you guys think? Are you gonna upgrade if so to a newer device?

Going by Googles pattern, whatever OS release comes out in October/November will NOT come to the Nexus 4. So whichever release comes before that will be the last.

The N4 is nearly 2 years old now though... don't think that 2 years of updates is too bad, compared to what some other phones get.

I'm with you though... thank god for the CM team - it'll make having the phone bearable when support is ditched! :)

There's a strong chance that 4.4.3 will be the final official update for the Nexus 4. We might get the summer update(if there is one, nothing is ever certain). I'd say there is about 70-80% certainty we won't get the fall update(likely to be a major update). But that all really depends on which was the stronger factor in the GNEX getting thrown in the trash. The 18 month window? Or the obsolete processor?

I think the big news for the fall update will be 64-bit Android (unless they announce it out at Google I/O).

If that turns out to be the case, it wouldn't surprise me if the N4 gets left out of the 32 built build of whatever version number it happens to be.

-SF

There's a strong chance that 4.4.3 will be the final official update for the Nexus 4. We might get the summer update(if there is one, nothing is ever certain). I'd say there is about 70-80% certainty we won't get the fall update(likely to be a major update). But that all really depends on which was the stronger factor in the GNEX getting thrown in the trash. The 18 month window? Or the obsolete processor?

Google said it was because of the 18 month window but I strongly feel that it was due to the processor. If it was Qualcomm manufactured then maybe the GNEX might have lived on but allegedly Texas Instruments (the gnex processor manufacturer) wanted nothing to do with supporting the processor for further updates. KitKat was developed with an emphasis on running on low end phones smoothly, and considering that most low end smart phones on the market today have the same specs as the Galaxy Nexus (1.2 GHz dual core processor), it just seems weird that Google would not want to show off this major feature on their very own nexus device due to an 18 month update window. As far as the Nexus 4 goes, we'll just have to wait and see. It'd make sense to keep updating it especially if the Moto G GPE has an almost identical spec sheet as the Nexus 4 and will continue to receive updates for some time.

Just a little fruit for thought

The processor/SOC wasn't obsolete. Google is using it for Glass, which uses KitKat.

Google came out and stated that it was beyond the 18 month window. Every single year the same thing happens; Google releases a new Nexus, and the two-year-old model loses support. Despite it happening every...single...year...many people aren't seeing this pattern yet.

Back
Top Bottom