• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 5 Marshmallow update preventing everything else updating

kingdave

Android Enthusiast
I've had to resort back to using my Nexus 5 as my G4 is on its last legs (despite only being 4 months old!) so is off for repair.

I turned my old N5 on this morning and it started doing a load of security updates since it hasn't been on for a while, and then needed to download Marshmallow. I let it do all that, and then to try and get the phone to be as box fresh as possible, I did a factory reset.

Big mistake.

Now while the N5 will turn on and operate like a phone, I can't update it with any apps at all. Most of the Google apps are sitting in the Play Store saying they need an update, but when I try to update them an error occurs:

Update for [app name] could not be downloaded due to an error. (Error while retrieving information from server. [RPC:S-7:AEC-7 MYYK-4RBO-RODUY])

Any ideas on how to fix this one? As I'm without a phone unless the Nexus can be fixed while the G4 is off for repair I need this fixed ASAP.

Thanks!

What version is your Google Play Services? If it's not 8.3.00, you may want to try to update that somehow, then see if it'll work.

It was 8.3 and I tried updating it via apkmirror hosted files and that made no difference either.

I would try deleting data from Google Play, Google Play Services and Download manager. You could also try deleting your Google account (Settings > Account) and re-adding it.

Last edited:
personally I would just wipe it and flash the marshmallow from the official site. I had a few issues when updating. I ended up having to do a clean install in order for things to work correctly. That included wiping my internal storage. I did a backup first of course. If you don't have an unlocked bootloader you'll need to do so in order to flash the Image. This will wipe all user data including the internal storage. Flashing the image on a clean device will incur less problems.

I've had this issue after a factory reset, and it boiled down to the play services being old, while apps on play store needed newer version. I let the device alone for an hour or so (connected to WiFi), and then, restarted the phone. In that time, play services updated, and then the apps updated just fine.

If it doesn't happen within an hour, leave it a little longer (at most, overnight)

Back
Top Bottom