• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 7 2012 : Changing Folder Permissions

I don't normally ask for help with my Android but I was left with no choice.

Somehow a folder direction had its permissions rewritten and I need to change it back. Unfortunately I have no idea how to do this. I have check multiple tutorials and none of them have given me what I needed.

Maybe I am trying too hard. Is there a simple way to change file permissions?

Thanks in Advance!

I'm not clear what you mean by "folder direction", but you can change the permissions of a file (or folder, which is just a file really) using most any file manager like the excellent ES File Explorer for example.

I tried ES File Explorer but I can't work out how to. Specifically the /storage/emulator/legacy folder.

Any helpful tips on how to?

And yes I meant the permissions. I worded the question wrong

Upvote 0
My mistake, I was confusing myself :-(

The app I meant to point at is not ES File Explorer but Root Explorer, which is not free and does require a rooted device. I have used both and had convinced myself that both had the ability to change permissions but it appears that ES doesn't. Sorry about that.

My excuse is that since I also have busybox on my rooted devices I typically use a terminal and a simple chmod command to do permission changes :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones