• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 7 keyboard? The virtual - what software is it?

CrackBaby

Android Enthusiast
I read in one review that the Nexus 7 has the best virtual keyboard he has ever tried. I'll be darned if I can find the review now...I will post the URL when I find it. Anyway, was wondering if anyone knows what it is. Is it swiftkey, swype, or something new?

It would be the jellybean stock keyboard. From the video I saw it looks like a complete copy of swiftkey. You have three word predictions on top with the regular keys below.

It would be the jellybean stock keyboard. From the video I saw it looks like a complete copy of swiftkey. You have three word predictions on top with the regular keys below.

Yeah I remember having seen that in a number of places. A few reviews said it was pretty much SwiftKey. I have SwiftKey purchased but I'm going to give the stock JB keyboard a try before I install it on my Nexus 7. SwiftKey is going to have to come up with something interesting (besides a more complex dictionary) to gain new subscribers once JB becomes one of Android's more dominant OS's.

I have swiftkey on my phone, but I'm pretty sure that the tablet version is different and costs money on its own. So I don't think i will be buying that. I'll just use stock.

I have swiftkey on my phone, but I'm pretty sure that the tablet version is different and costs money on its own. So I don't think i will be buying that. I'll just use stock.

I use the paid version of Swiftkey 3. There is also a tablet version. A free and a paid. The free is only 1 month free trial though.

Thanks. I tried swiftkey tablet and had a problem using it within Google search. For example, if I were to search for "two googlevoice numbers one phone" the swift key inserted: "two googlevoice numnumnumnumnumnumnumnum"

:confused:

Yep, one of the only problems with SwiftKey is you need to purchase it separately for phones and tablets.
I personally love it and think the text prediction is much better than the stock JB keyboard. Plus you can have a divided keyboard for landscape on tablets.

Yep, one of the only problems with SwiftKey is you need to purchase it separately for phones and tablets.
I personally love it and think the text prediction is much better than the stock JB keyboard. Plus you can have a divided keyboard for landscape on tablets.

I held off buying the tablet version for a year for my Xoom- then saw they had a 50% off promotion a month or so. Tried out the trial briefly, liked what I saw and went for it. Don't regret it for an instant - it's nice to have virtually the same keyboard on both my Incredible and my Xoom.

Gonna be buying the wife a Nexus 7 for her birthday next month so it'll be interesting to see how the stock JB keyboard compares.

Stock JB isn't all that bad but it doesn't learn the text prediction like SwiftKey does. Probably one of the best paid apps out there. Well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom