• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 7 "Soft Bricked" in Boot Loop, need help in simple terms to restore.

I have a Un-Rooted Nexus 7 2012 32GB (bought new in Nov 2013) that suddenly and for no reason "soft-bricked", stuck in a never-ending Boot Loop (swirling/spinning 4 color circles). I still had Android
4.4.4 running on it, except for the typical slacker stock Launcher hangs and not responding, it was running pretty good.

I have tried a few time to do a "factory reset" from the Recovery Menu (Pwr & Volumn Down procedure) and nothing, also tried before that the Cashe Clearing. Nothing gets it to Factory Reset, just another Boot
Loop.

I have never tried a Rooting of an Android device (though I've been in Windows and IBM Network IT engineering for 25+ years.) Can someone help me step by step in near layman's term to restore this Nexus 7?

I'd actually rather NOT Root it for a custom ROM, just get it back to KitKat 4.4.4 (Preferred) of if I have to LolliPop 5.1 which I have experienced is the dead end for the N7's (2012 and 2013's) since my older N7 2012 8GB refuses to update to 5.1.1.

Appreciate the step by step help. If you're recommending a PC program I need to use, please supply the link to the exact version to
download.

Thanks

If you're not bothered about losing data (I presume you're not if you've already tried a factory reset), you can try and reflash the factory images which basically formats all the internal partitions and reinstalls everything from scratch.

https://developers.google.com/android/images

Select the image you want and install using the instructions on that page.

As you're using one of the older N7s, you'll need to use the "fastboot oem" commands.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
In addition to @El Presidente's excellent suggestion, you might also try the Nexus Root Toolkit:

It is a Windows PC-based program and will install the drivers for you and has a "Flash Stock + Unroot" option (even if you're not currently rooted). Note that there's a "Soft-Bricked/Bootloop" radio button option/selection that I'm guessing would address exaction the issue you're having.

I'm pretty sure it would unlock your bootloader first, which would wipe your device, so make sure to backup anything you can (if able) prior to using this utility.

Cheers and best of luck!

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
PLEASE HELP:
Hi, I imagine that you guys get these types of posts a lot, but I really need help. I am trying to root my new (as in just bought, not version (it's the 2012 if that makes any difference)) Nexus 7. First I tried using the Nexus Root Toolkit, but that seemed to complicated so I went for a one-click root thing. I then tried to use kingroot which failed. After that I tried kingo-root which failed and reset my phone. After those two attempts I went for one that worked on my old phone, the kingroot app. This app successfully rooted my tablet (confirmed by the app itself and root checker). However when I restarted the device I got stuck on the loading screen (the one with the swirling colorful circles). I booted into recovery mode, cleared the cache (I could not find the Dalvik cache), then reset and restarted the tablet. But after all of that, the tablet was still stuck on the swirling loading screen. Please help me fix this, I just dropped $100 on that tablet (I'm a teenager with very little $) and I don't want that to go to waste.

Upvote 0
PLEASE HELP:
Hi, I imagine that you guys get these types of posts a lot, but I really need help. I am trying to root my new (as in just bought, not version (it's the 2012 if that makes any difference)) Nexus 7. First I tried using the Nexus Root Toolkit, but that seemed to complicated so I went for a one-click root thing. I then tried to use kingroot which failed. After that I tried kingo-root which failed and reset my phone. After those two attempts I went for one that worked on my old phone, the kingroot app. This app successfully rooted my tablet (confirmed by the app itself and root checker). However when I restarted the device I got stuck on the loading screen (the one with the swirling colorful circles). I booted into recovery mode, cleared the cache (I could not find the Dalvik cache), then reset and restarted the tablet. But after all of that, the tablet was still stuck on the swirling loading screen. Please help me fix this, I just dropped $100 on that tablet (I'm a teenager with very little $) and I don't want that to go to waste.

As I reported in the original post, I have 2 "2012" Nexus 7's and I'm very sorry to tell you, but you bought a piece of S***. I bought both new - the 8GB as they were introduced in 2012 ($189) and the 32GB at the end of 2013 as a close out sale (still $200). Both have been unreliable crap no matter what OS was on it, including Rooted and running a modified KitKat. These 2012 (and I've also read the 2013's) are garbage and hardware buggy. FACT - Google had ASUS use the cheapest NAND for the memory they could find to cut costs and make Google more profits and that is the major Root (excuse the pun) of the problem with them. As I posted the "expensive" 32GB N7 is now just a brick, totally useless and no matter what clean install I've done to the 8GB N7 up to 5.1, it is flaky, crashes, launches apps for no reason, snail slow, constantly restarts on it's own and basically unreliable.

I like (not love) Android, so I bought a christmas deal Samsung Galaxy "E-Tab" 7 inch ($69 direct from Samsung) which only comes with 8GB of RAM, BUT has a Micro SD card slot and will accept up to 64GB. Samsung wisely modified Android KitKat to allow built-in the moving of most apps to the "add-on" SD card. I bought the fastest 32GB Micro SD card I could find ($12 by Samsung) and now I have 40GB FAST Tablet with GPS, Bluetooth 3.0, front side camera and 200% better speaker. The Samsung is everything the POS Google Nexus 7 never was.

I will NEVER buy any Google branded POS again. In fact purposely bought a Amazon Echo instead of the crap Google Home and we are mucho happy we did. Sell your Nexus 7 and buy a Samsung instead. Otherwise, you'll be sorry with all the frustrations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones