• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus S hardware or network?

authorwjf

Lurker
So I have been having trouble with my Nexus receiving text messages. I've done a factory reset and am pretty much stock Android. Generally what happens is in the course of an SMS exchange I will get 80% or the responses. All my outgoing texts seem to make it to the destination. Eventually, (days or weeks later), I get a rush of messages that include all the missed ones.

Yesterday as a test I had my son send me ten sequential messages. I received seven. I called t-mobile and they sent me 2 test messages. I received only 1. Then they had me move my SIM card to a prepaid model. On power up I received about 30 messages which had been missing over the course of the last few weeks. Also the time date stamps on all the messages were the same, being the time I received them not the time they were sent.

The t-mobile rep claims this clearly shows a problem with my Nexus S hardware and that I need to work with Samsung to get a replacement. But I don't really understand how the phone's hardware could cause me to selectively receive some messages and not others. Does anyone have any thoughts / advice? One big diff between my Nexus S and the prepaid model they had me try was it is 4G vs 3G. So even though we were in the same physical location I'd suspect the network routing was a little different.

Yesterday as a test I had my son send me ten sequential messages. I received seven. I called t-mobile and they sent me 2 test messages. I received only 1. Then they had me move my SIM card to a prepaid model. On power up I received about 30 messages which had been missing over the course of the last few weeks. Also the time date stamps on all the messages were the same, being the time I received them not the time they were sent.
I suspect it's the network. A few years ago my wife and I had trouble texting to each other on 2 different carriers. Both carriers insisted it wasn't a problem on their end, and it must be the phones causing the problem, even though we told them there were no issues for several years prior. Many other people experienced issues too and reported it, and after several weeks of complaints the problems magically went away without us doing anything different and still using the same phones.

Today, 100% of my texts go through, but about 1 in 100 get delayed for a few minutes or hours. But at least they go through now.
:)

Back
Top Bottom