• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Band 12?

I was considering upgrading my Gen. 1 Moto G to a Gen. 3 version, only to find out, upon investigation, that, apparently, the 2015 Moto G has Band 12 disabled? Unlocked Moto G (2015) Will Not Support Band 12 LTE. I was wondering why my wife's phone didn't seem to perform any better than mine.

That's a show-stopper, for me.
Well, if it's a show stopper, then either look at a high-end phone or a T-Mobile branded one... T-Mobile has had most unlocked OEM's remove support for Band 12 in the US unless they can gain approval from T-Mobile with VoLTE support and maybe more (it isn't said directly, but it's rumored a fee of some kind is involved). Most OEM's just opted to remove support completely.

Here is a list of known working phones, note that the list of unlocked devices is rather short and (mostly) spendy devices.

http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compatible-phones

Well, if it's a show stopper, then either look at a high-end phone or a T-Mobile branded one...
Neither of those is going to happen. I'll simply keep the phone I have. It's still working well. I just thought to get the band 12 support.

T-Mobile has had most unlocked OEM's remove support for Band 12 in the US unless they can gain approval from T-Mobile ...
So T-Mobile isn't as much the "uncarrier" as they'd like everybody to believe they are, after all. Disappointing, but not particularly surprising. TelCom company. Proof again they're all the same.

Of course: By doing this T-Mobile has locked us out of that big swath of new coverage they show in the northern part of Michigan's lower peninsula and the entire eastern half of the upper. But that's ok. Verizon has it covered and I have a company-supplied WiFi hotspot.

Neither of those is going to happen. I'll simply keep the phone I have. It's still working well. I just thought to get the band 12 support.

So T-Mobile isn't as much the "uncarrier" as they'd like everybody to believe they are, after all. Disappointing, but not particularly surprising. TelCom company. Proof again they're all the same.

Of course: By doing this T-Mobile has locked us out of that big swath of new coverage they show in the northern part of Michigan's lower peninsula and the entire eastern half of the upper. But that's ok. Verizon has it covered and I have a company-supplied WiFi hotspot.
At least you have some T-mobile support... Where I live in Bismarck, ND, they claim to have service but if your not within a mile of the interstate you will get no service and inside that strip you get Edge service. Where I work in the Minneapolis/St Paul area has awesome T-Mobile LTE coverage but I'll stick with AT&T since it works everywhere I go.

Back
Top Bottom