• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No SIM card (phone still shows bars)

ndex477

I noticed recently that even though I removed the SIM card from my LG Thrive the device still appears to be authenticating with cell towers. I deactivated my service from the provider about a month ago. What could be causing this? Thanks for any help.

I noticed recently that even though I removed the SIM card from my LG Thrive the device still appears to be authenticating with cell towers. I deactivated my service from the provider about a month ago. What could be causing this? Thanks for any help.

I beleive it is a legal requirement for all cell providers to allow any device the ability to call the emergency services on any of their networks, SIM card or no SIM card. It certainly is this case in the UK.

Try making a regular call (don't dial 911 to prove my point, you could get into trouble) and at a guess you wont be able to.

Usually the status will show "emergency calls only" on the lockscreen. But most devices will show an empty cell signal by default without a SIM or show "SOS" in place of it

@dynomot. I thought the 911 calls were handled on the control channel. I remember back around 2007 or 2008 if i removed my sim card there would be an "X" where the signal bars are supposed to be.

@nickdalzell. Could the app SIM Toolkit have something to do with it? I don't know anything about that app but i noticed that when i force stop it the "X" appears where the bars are supposed to be for a brief period.

@dynomot. I thought the 911 calls were handled on the control channel. I remember back around 2007 or 2008 if i removed my sim card there would be an "X" where the signal bars are supposed to be.....

I'm just going on how it is with some devices in the UK. If my SIM is removed from my Note 3 I get a small icon of an SIM card with an "x" in it and can still make our emergency 999 calls (or 112), I have known some devices display full bars with no 'G', 'H' '3G', '4G' or 'E' symbol without a SIM in them.

Back
Top Bottom