• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No skinned dialer?

_Aardvark

Android Enthusiast
I'm so disappointed that the Droid RAZR's dialer is not skinned to look like the electro-luminescent keypad of the original RAZR.

I think from watching some videos that it looks nearly the same as (IMOHO ugly, but functional) Blur/Gingerbread dialer of other Moto phones.

I'm so disappointed that the Droid RAZR's dialer is not skinned to look like the electro-luminescent keypad of the original RAZR.

I think from watching some videos that it looks nearly the same as (IMOHO ugly, but functional) Blur/Gingerbread dialer of other Moto phones.

Going to be the same as the Bionic! I agree that something like what was seen in ICS on the GNex would have been killer...Kind of looks like the old Razr dialer also...

that raises an issue i have been pondering. imo, the Blurred dialer on the Razr is unappealing. the question i have is whether the dialer will be skinned once ICS is on the Razr?!? to me, the ICS dialer is much more appealing, and i would much rather have that on my phone.

assuming that Moto/VZW will skin the RAZR's dialer once it updates to ICS, my next question is whether rooting, alone, would allow me to get rid of the skinned dialer?? would i be able to just install the ICS stock dialer .apk??

that raises an issue i have been pondering. imo, the Blurred dialer on the Razr is unappealing. the question i have is whether the dialer will be skinned once ICS is on the Razr?!? to me, the ICS dialer is much more appealing, and i would much rather have that on my phone.

assuming that Moto/VZW will skin the RAZR's dialer once it updates to ICS, my next question is whether rooting, alone, would allow me to get rid of the skinned dialer?? would i be able to just install the ICS stock dialer .apk??

yes and no

IF/When someone builds a mod or a rom that contains a diff dialer then you could do that.

technically if it has the ICS dialer that would be a NON skinned dialer.

yes and no

IF/When someone builds a mod or a rom that contains a diff dialer then you could do that.

technically if it has the ICS dialer that would be a NON skinned dialer.

thanks for the input!

i should have said that i'm working from the assumption that, with an encrypted BL, we will only get root, and won't be able to flash roms (at least not without a cumbersome/not-true-recovery work around).

my thinking was that the RAZR dialer looks to be a skinned dialer (at least it doesn't appear to be the GB dialer). so, once Moto/VZW update with ICS, my thought was that they would probably skin the ICS dialer, too. and, i just don't want that. i was hoping that, just with root alone, there would be a mod that would allow the stock unskinned ICS dialer to be flashed. are you saying that with just root, alone, it is possible to have a mod to get the stock dialer (or some other stock ICS .apk)??

thanks for the input!

i should have said that i'm working from the assumption that, with an encrypted BL, we will only get root, and won't be able to flash roms (at least not without a cumbersome/not-true-recovery work around).

my thinking was that the RAZR dialer looks to be a skinned dialer (at least it doesn't appear to be the GB dialer). so, once Moto/VZW update with ICS, my thought was that they would probably skin the ICS dialer, too. and, i just don't want that. i was hoping that, just with root alone, there would be a mod that would allow the stock unskinned ICS dialer to be flashed. are you saying that with just root, alone, it is possible to have a mod to get the stock dialer (or some other stock ICS .apk)??

I will say this. The only way i've ever changed my dialer on the DX was by flashing various Roms. Most Roms either use AOSP pure Android dialer or they theme the dialer themselves.

However i suppose someone could make a mod that changed the dialer only. Although i've never seen a mod that ONLY affected the dialer. Theme is probably a better word to use than Mod.

and your right when Moto/VZW gets their hands on ICS it will have a skin on it.

Back
Top Bottom