• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nokia's "burning platform"

I see this as a trial period and if nothing comes from it, Nokia well open up their options to android.

they need each other! match made in heaven....
but... if wp7 cannot help them get back.. i can see them also offering an android in the future.

wont happen...if you read between the lines in all the interviews put up....Nokia didn't go with Android (as well or instead) because Google would control too much and would benefit MORE from Nokia joining them rather than Nokia benefiting from joining the Android umbrella..

I mean its quite obvious...its kind of the apple situation if you think bout it....one of the BIG things with the Nokia software is Ovi Maps....and well...Google already has its own maps...so Ovi will lose there straight away..

read the interviews they also say about ovi store and winpho7 market place merging into one...wouldnt happen with the Android market really....

but you are right Microsoft and Nokia NEED each other quite badly...

wont happen...if you read between the lines in all the interviews put up....Nokia didn't go with Android (as well or instead) because Google would control too much and would benefit MORE from Nokia joining them rather than Nokia benefiting from joining the Android umbrella..

I mean its quite obvious...its kind of the apple situation if you think bout it....one of the BIG things with the Nokia software is Ovi Maps....and well...Google already has its own maps...so Ovi will lose there straight away..

read the interviews they also say about ovi store and winpho7 market place merging into one...wouldnt happen with the Android market really....

but you are right Microsoft and Nokia NEED each other quite badly...

what would google demand??? they are open-source.....
other makers.. do anything they want to it... sense blur touchwiz

nokia is put a spin on what THEY want... google does not add anything MORE for them, because google gives the same to all!

they want thier phones to have some identity... and android is everywhere... wp7 is fresh and new..
so nokia will make a huge investment in that and push out to everywhere.
My GUESS.. they may have signed an exclusive deal with WP7, so that can have the right to put a Skin over WP7.. and be different.

its funny how all the fanboys now admit Android WAS better than Symbain and how they are jumping ship to it :D
good move by Nokia, well not good, but it was the only option
if only in 2009 they had went with Android.. ah well

what would google demand??? they are open-source.....
other makers.. do anything they want to it... sense blur touchwiz

nokia is put a spin on what THEY want... google does not add anything MORE for them, because google gives the same to all!

they want thier phones to have some identity... and android is everywhere... wp7 is fresh and new..
so nokia will make a huge investment in that and push out to everywhere.
My GUESS.. they may have signed an exclusive deal with WP7, so that can have the right to put a Skin over WP7.. and be different.

if you read alot of the articles and interviews you get two answers from nokia...one is that they couldnt work with the large ecosystem structure Google has and secondly that Google would hold control over them and benefit more from the deal than Nokia would..

think about it...its simple really..for example I gave the Nokia/Ovi maps and Google Maps idea I put down...

and I dont think Microsoft would allow Nokia to put a skin over winpho7....I think its part of the terms when dealing with microsoft...hence why the HTC winpho7 phones have HTC hub....which is the BASIC stripped out Sense UI in an app....but the main skin is still the black and tiles...

htc does not have near the power as nokia.

nokia is dropping their built OS... why cant they drop a map??

again.. this is all speculation.. so.. whatever till we see real world actions.

A marriage made in desperation.

Google's Vic Gundotra put it best I think...

"Two turkeys do not make an eagle"

htc does not have near the power as nokia.

nokia is dropping their built OS... why cant they drop a map??

again.. this is all speculation.. so.. whatever till we see real world actions.

speculation? umm.....you have actually read that Nokia arent 'deciding' to go with Microsoft...they have already signed their contract with the devil..

though I dont think EXACTLY whats in the contract has come up yet...as in how long...for how much...for EXACTLY what on both parties will happen....

so wait and see till someone manages to find a copy somewhere..

speculation on why they did what they did.. and if it is good or bad.. or if they will ever use android too...

we were talking why..

not speculation if they will partner up with microsoft.

earlier (a few days ago) when i heard the new head of nokia was talking about how their OS was not the horse they wanted to bet on... and speculation was started on which OS they would use.. WP7 or Andy.

I speculated it would be WP7 because they are both in a bad situation .. and they could help each other.

I do like how its mentioned bout the Nokia maps and Bing joining....anyone think that Nokia didnt go with Google (as well or instead of) because Google has Google Maps and obviously would never take a merging with Ovi Maps?

Great idea. In the past, I've found Nokia/Ovi Maps for China to be somewhat lacking, inaccurate, incomplete and out-of-date, e.g. whole towns and villages are missing from Nokia/Ovi Maps. Google and Bing maps of China however are excellent.

speculation on why they did what they did.. and if it is good or bad.. or if they will ever use android too...

we were talking why..

not speculation if they will partner up with microsoft.

FWIW - that's how I read your position - and FWIW, I was confused and intrigued by the part in the BBC article where it said:

Speaking about the new partnership with Microsoft, Mr Elop said that "the game has changed from a battle of devices to a war of ecosystems".

"An ecosystem with Microsoft and Nokia has unrivalled scale around the globe," he said.

Windows may not be the exclusive operating system for Nokia tablets though.

"We reserve the right to introduce tablets using other platforms, including ones we may be working on internally," he (Elop) said.

its funny how all the fanboys now admit Android WAS better than Symbain and how they are jumping ship to it :D

I was a Symbian 'fanboy' for years, long before the advent of Android. Nokia 6600, N95 and E71. But I saw what was happening with Android, especially Froyo, and NOT what was happening with Symbian. Most of the Nokia Symbian ^3 phones are really quite horrible compared to their Android counterparts. So here I am, one of those who jumped ship. :p

BTW I totally agree with the earlier sentiment expressed about two turkeys not making an eagle, and joining sinking ships together, i.e. Nokia + Microsoft.

I was a Symbian 'fanboy' for years, long before the advent of Android. Nokia 6600, N95 and E71. But I saw what was happening with Android, especially Froyo, and NOT what was happening with Symbian. Most of the Nokia Symbian ^3 phones are really quite horrible compared to their Android counterparts. So here I am, one of those who jumped ship. :p
same here
my crappy China phone has more RAM than their most expensive models /fail
BTW I totally agree with the earlier sentiment expressed about two turkeys not making an eagle, and joining sinking ships together, i.e. Nokia + Microsoft.
its the only option
they had loads of opportunities, but they probably started believing their own bullshit.. Elop was one of the few who likely did not

BTW, im seeing lots of American/Canadian hate from S^3 owners now.. and M$ buying Nokia conspiricies

Sad day for us.

This is reminding me of the Xbox announcement.

Many of us laughed (me too) and just _knew_ the market would be too smart for that at the time it was announced, in light of MS' DoJ shenanigans and obvious competition from entrenched sources. We shook our heads when the earliest adopters complained about reliability issues.

Microsoft knows how to make a Zune failure and how to make an Xbox happen.

With the announcements rolling in, there's no doubt in my mind that there's more to this deal than meets the eye.

In the Android Lounge, somebody asked what Android could learn from Apple - it's a light thread - and he posted the link to macrumors where he asked what Apple could learn from Android. I was surprised to see how many iPhone owners were equating Android and WP7 features as different than iOS. The market is a fickle thing because consumers are. The iPhone has lost its shine. Windows used to have a stronger share. Nokia didn't build bad hardware.

Adds up to a credible threat to Android to me. Hope I'm wrong.

All this has accomplished is making me for the first time wish that Ballmer stays in power. At least long enough to see another Nokia monkey dance.

why would a credible threat to Android be a bad thing?
I hope Android never gets above 60% marketshare, as its only downhill from there as Symbain shows

Very fair point.

I'm just biased against Winphone.

i really like it - but I'm a sucker for that kind of interface
of course, I loath the lack of customisation on it, but not everyone wants that.
Another thing is it does not give me the empty feeling - its the only mobile platform I can say that about apart from Android

why would a credible threat to Android be a bad thing?
I hope Android never gets above 60% marketshare, as its only downhill from there as Symbain shows

thats a very good point...the moment that one OS shows a complete control over the market is the moment they stop advancing and just stagnate...thats what basically happened to Symbian wasn't it...they had a massive control over smart phone market especially the niche 'button' market...and they just stayed as they were..

I believe if they had actually advanced properly and just kept getting better and better none of this would of happened, Symbian would still be a big player in the market...

And how about Nokia getting to skin WP7?

This sounds weird to me. Yeah, let's get Nokia, who has been making really crappy UI's for touch screen phones for years, to make a custom UI for WP7. :confused: What makes MS think this is a good idea? Is their UI so bad that they need Nokia to help improve it?

Back
Top Bottom