• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ROMs Noob modding question

Stuffe

Lurker
Jan 13, 2011
I am looking at building a customized tablet for a school and it should ideally only run one app, boot right into it on start up and not allow the user to exit or "tab" over to other apps etc. I was originally thinking I would use a modded version of Ubuntu on a tablet, but proper driver support and bios USB boot support is hard to find so now I am looking at modding Android, which I have no experience with at all.

Here is the list of things I want to do, none of which seem prohibitively difficult. Any suggestions, anything I have missed or general feedback please let me know.

Change the splash screen
Creating a simple launcher that just shows a background splash
Auto launch custom app
Disable the drag down menu, home button and perhaps others
Integrate some wifi settings functionality into the app so that the user can be online even if they cant access the control panel.

Does it sound doable? Any pitfalls?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones