• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Noob that can't update

LordNeko

Lurker
First let me give a little background for more appropriate answers.
-I am above average in computer knowledge.
-I have NEVER rooted a phone before.
-I have read several posts to try and solve this issue with no success.
-Phone is currently running 4.0.4

OK; my warp sequent is having the common "flashing screen" issue followed by white/black out screen and freezing.
I have downloaded the online upgrade tool from zteusa dot com, but it was not able to detect my phone. (Yes I followed the downloadable guide perfectly.)

Is there any other utility to force the update? Or a download for the update itself so my phone can install from the SD card in FTM mode?

P.S. I'm not worried about bricking my phone, I have confirmed with my provider that they will replace it.

First let me give a little background for more appropriate answers.
-I am above average in computer knowledge.
-I have NEVER rooted a phone before.
-I have read several posts to try and solve this issue with no success.
-Phone is currently running 4.0.4

OK; my warp sequent is having the common "flashing screen" issue followed by white/black out screen and freezing.
I have downloaded the online upgrade tool from zteusa dot com, but it was not able to detect my phone. (Yes I followed the downloadable guide perfectly.)

Is there any other utility to force the update? Or a download for the update itself so my phone can install from the SD card in FTM mode?

P.S. I'm not worried about bricking my phone, I have confirmed with my provider that they will replace it.

First thing first all things root would have probablt been a better place for this, cause people like me frequent that more then this part of the forums. Now for the real first step...
1=go here and download the tool= http://androidforums.com/warp-seque...ot-unroot-recovery-installer-gui-edition.html , since you are on ics 4.0.4 still it should work, just select root first, its that easy to root this phone
2=you need root to install cmw. so after you install root, choose either touch cmw, or regular cmw, i like touch better but to each their own. Now test to see if you were sucessful in installing cmw by holding down the power button and select restart phone. Now before the phone completly shuts down, press and hold the volume down button along with the power button, and keep holding them till after the green android guy comeup on the screen, if you have the option to flash a zip from sd card you are now in cmw, if not try again starting at the begining of this step.
3=After you have sucefully installed cmw go here= http://androidforums.com/warp-sequent-all-things-root/742797-rom-superrom-b11-v4-10-12-13-a.html and download the system prep b11 zip, and the superROM b11.zip. Put both these files on your sd card and then reboot into recovery again like before. YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA AND PERSONAL INFO FROM YOUR PHONE, SO BACK UP WHAT YOU CAN NOW!!! Select backup and restore, then select backup again from the top of the list. This will take a few minutes to do but it will give you a fresh start if you do mess up the phone in any way possible, other than a hard brick. Now after that is done, select go back till you are on the first menu, then select wipe data/factory reset, scroll down and click yes, then slect wipe cache partition, yes, then select advance and wipe dalvik cache. Press go back then select install zip from sd card, press choose zip from sd card, then navigate to where you put the files on the sd card. choose the system prep first, then click yes to install, then press choose zip from sd card again and select the superrom b11. Then click yes again. after this is done select go back to you are on the first screen. select reboot to system now.
4=Be very patient with your phone now and allow it to fully load before you do anything. You are now on b11, which means you will be running the 4.1.2 jellybean update. I hope i helped. Enjoy the day and sorry it took a minute to get back to you.

Thank you for the help and the level of detail, I'll give this a go as soon as i figure out how to backup half my games that cant be linked to stuff like a Google account XD.

Titanium Backup or Nandroid Manager will do the trick... but ya gotta root first. It's worth it.

Thank you for the help and the level of detail, I'll give this a go as soon as i figure out how to backup half my games that cant be linked to stuff like a Google account XD.
no problem i was feeling extremely helpful that day so i did all the steps just to make sure i was getting it write, even made a backup on accident, but i already had one. hope it all works out

Running into an issue.
I tried installing both CWMs with both fastroot and terminal option, every time I get the message "install was taking too long, check your drivers. ".
I have the ZTE driver updated from ZTEs website, any idea what's wrong?

P.S. I've had the option to flash from SD before attepting this process (by holding volume down + power as the phone starts up). Does that mean I can skip the root and CWM?

Running into an issue.
I tried installing both CWMs with both fastroot and terminal option, every time I get the message "install was taking too long, check your drivers. ".
I have the ZTE driver updated from ZTEs website, any idea what's wrong?

P.S. I've had the option to flash from SD before attepting this process (by holding volume down + power as the phone starts up). Does that mean I can skip the root and CWM?

Try this instead for installing CWM

http://androidforums.com/warp-sequent-all-things-root/747022-tool-warp2-cwm-root-flasher.html

This should be moved to the all-things-root section.

Or a download for the update itself so my phone can install from the SD card in FTM mode?

people seem to have missed this key clue as to what was wrong with the update tool. ftm mode doesnt have an install from sd option, recovery does...

either cwm is already installed, or if you are on stock recovery you have been holding down vol instead of up. you are not in ftm, you are in recovery

ftm is a black screen with a white square that says nothing else and is only available when running stock recovery. if there are options on the screen, youre doing it wrong

on the cwm installing thing, did you root before trying the terminal.method? it has to be rooted before that. it also has to have usb debugging enabled on the phone before rooting

the fastboot method is a good way to test which one is the issue too, did you get stuck.on a black screen with.nothing but a picture of the android guy after trying fastboot mode? if so, terminal method isnt working because its not rooted, if not terminal method isnt working because the drivers arent working or you havent enabled usb debugging, you will need to fix that, then root, then install with terminal method

fastboot would still require you to figure out why terminal isnt connecting, doesnt require root but that only saves a button press. it then requires a fight with windows to get the drivers to work, so may i suggest terminal method? lol

i have a tutorial on manually checking and forcing drivers here somewhere which will guide you through fixing either on if thats the problem but i would go.into settings and find the developer options then make sure usb debugging is enabled first kuz thats your most likely issue and the simplest fix

Back
Top Bottom