• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Noob with a nexus s.

sambasam

Lurker
Hi guys i bought a nexus couple of months ago which had already been rooted to ics 4.0.4. I recently got a system update to jb but can't install it tried several times now and i keep getting this.

Opening update package ...
veryfying update package ...
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
installation aborted

Now im a complete noob when it comes to this kinda thing don't know what rooted means flash etc please help a nexus noob out.

Hi guys i bought a nexus couple of months ago which had already been rooted to ics 4.0.4. I recently got a system update to jb but can't install it
I believe that's because it's looking for the previous version and expecting a stock version, not a custom build. You might want to try flashing a stock version of JB. It will remove root and put stock recovery back, but it'll be pure JB:

[I9020T][I9023][I9020A][M200][D720] Nexus S 4.1.1/JRO03E Jelly Bean Update Thread - xda-developers

Info and links to files to update are there.

You have to replace the bootloader for the install. it will then revert back to the standard bootloader which comes part of the JB package.

be careful with JB though.
In my case it killed MMS and ruined Wifi access to many types of routers.
Both are known bugs that don't happen to all...they just happened to happen to my :(

good luck.

-tagsfordroid.com

You have to replace the bootloader for the install. it will then revert back to the standard bootloader which comes part of the JB package.
You don't replace the bootloader, you replace the Recovery. But since they already have root, then they must have used a custom Recovery already which means they can just flash stock JB on the phone. This will remove the custom Recovery and root access though, but they can simply re-root again after stock JB is setup.
be careful with JB though.
In my case it killed MMS and ruined Wifi access to many types of routers.
Both are known bugs that don't happen to all...they just happened to happen to my :(
good luck.
-tagsfordroid.com
Known bugs? You mean like the colour of the icons? I replied in another thread about blue and grey icons and what they mean.

As for WiFi disconnects, it may be due to using a poor router. To help with this, there is a setting in JB that can be toggled off:
Tap Menu, System settings, WiFi, Menu, Advanced, and uncheck 'Avoid poor connections'.

Changing the default 'Keep WiFi on during sleep' will also help save battery.

Back
Top Bottom