• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

North American Shenzhen?

ROBOCRIPPLE

I've seen YouTube videos of serpentza walking into shopping centers in Shenzhen that sell all sorts of tech. I've also seen a video of Linus and Spare Parts building a PC using parts bought from vendors in Shenzhen. Being a sort of techie myself, I want to visit Shenzhen to go tech shopping! Of course, there are also online storefronts like AliExpress, DX and Gearbest that do sell all sorts of stuff from China, including cheap electronics and parts.

Now that Trump has imposed tariffs and even potentially sparking trade wars, I see a return of manufacturing jobs and domestic distribution in the US, which might revive the Rust Belt. Maybe even a transformation of one city into a tech manufacturing/retail hub like Shenzhen, hopefully Detroit (because I live in Canada). That would make me pretty happy, for various reasons!

This assumption is probably far-fetched. Already, the US has Silicon Valley and Redmond, but no tech manufacturing or retail hub like Shenzhen (is there?). We have the Richmond Night Market in Metro Vancouver, Canada, which does sell some cheap tech and phone cases as well as many other things. Bazaars and indoor marketplaces other than shopping malls with big-name stores are few and far between, here in North America. Unrealistically, if more people were tech-savvy and less brand-loyal, we'd have tech malls like those in Shenzhen all over the US and Canada.

Last edited:
I've seen YouTube videos of serpentza walking into shopping centers in Shenzhen that sell all sorts of tech.

Probably 99% of it is garbage though. ShenZhen is by far the largest for tech, but there are malls like that in most Chinese cities, and it's not only tech of course, it's toys, apparel, etc. and there is some real crap here.

Quite frankly I'm expecting Winston(serpentza) to be refused a Chinese visa and entry one day, like he'll go out into HKSAR and they may not let him back in. There's already been campaigns on Chinese social media to get him deported for various reasons.

I've also seen a video of Linus and Spare Parts building a PC using parts bought from vendors in Shenzhen. Being a sort of techie myself, I want to visit Shenzhen to go tech shopping! Of course, there are also online storefronts like AliExpress, DX and Gearbest that do sell all sorts of stuff from China, including cheap electronics and parts.

Now that Trump has imposed tariffs and even potentially sparking trade wars,

@P&CA.... POTUS #45 does produce a lot of bluster and hot air and back-pedalling IMO.

I see a return of manufacturing jobs and domestic distribution in the US, which might revive the Rust Belt. Maybe even a transformation of one city into a tech manufacturing/retail hub like Shenzhen, hopefully Detroit (because I live in Canada). That would make me pretty happy, for various reasons!

I can't see many Americans willing to work 12-15 hours a day, 6 days a week for $2-3 an hour, only seeing family once or twice a year, like they do in China, and besides that those conditions would be completely illegal in the US. Most people do like to buy the cheapest things possible of course. And most companies will look for the cheapest labour possible to get their things made.

Last edited:
Probably 99% of it is garbage though. ShenZhen is by far the largest for tech, but there are malls like that in most Chinese cities, and it's not only tech of course, it's toys, apparel, etc. and there is some real crap here.

Quite frankly I'm expecting Winston(serpentza) to be refused a Chinese visa and entry one day, like he'll go out into HKSAR and they may not let him back in. There's already been campaigns on Chinese social media to get him deported for various reasons.

@P&CA.... POTUS #45 does produce a lot of bluster and hot air and back-pedalling IMO.

I can't see many Americans willing to work 12-15 hours a day, 6 days a week for $2-3 an hour, only seeing family once or twice a year, like they do in China, and besides that those conditions would be completely illegal in the US. Most people do like to buy the cheapest things possible of course. And most companies will look for the cheapest labour possible to get their things made.

Isn't always the cheapest. A lot is the outlook on purchases. Americans have to have the biggest, best and most feature laden anything. They sell cars for the luxury factor. I'm not into luxury, style and fashion mean nothing. Going by phones - both the Oppo Find 7 and the OnePlus 5 are the best I've had. (I've rooted every Samsung and Google phone) Totally UNLOADED with crap. The same would go for cars. I want my Spitfire back. That was a plain jane no fuss, no frills car.

POTUS is also missing a lot. There are hardly any fabric mills in the US any more. Even if a clothing company is US, the contruction materials for the products aren't.

Back
Top Bottom