• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Not able to access mobile internet after upgrading to lollipop?

A

Android Question

Hi,

I bought a Moto G in France and have then moved with it to Colombia.
This week I received a notification that Android 5 was finally available as an update, and installed it straight away.

Since then I cannot access my 3/4G network. Whenever I try to access a website I get a 503 error.
I went into a Tigo shop (Tigo is my provider) and the guy said that Lillipop for Moto G was not yet available in Colombia, that I must have gotten the update because the phone was from another country, and that Tigo was not yet compatible with Android 5 on the Moto G (although they do support other phones with Android 5).

Before I attempt downgrading I just wanted to make sure that this makes any sense. I find it strange that aren't some kind of generic internet access settings that would work with any OS version. And I kinda like my lollipop.

What do you guys think?

"Tigo was not yet compatible with Android 5 on the Moto G" sounds like nonsense made up to get rid of you when they couldn't answer your question.

Did you check your APN settings (Access Point Names, in the mobile data settings)? If these are incorrect, or were erased when the update was applied, then you will not be able to use mobile data. Have a look and compare them with the normal setting for your network (which you should be able to find from their website, or via a web search).

OP here

Yeah I although thought it was nonsense. But the guy did check the APN settings, also tried to reset them, and I checked them, they seem alright. Something strange that happens and had never seen before is that there is a permanent notification about signing in to the network. Also the network icon in the status bar has an exclamation mark signaling something's wrong:

2015-03-18 19.01.09.png

When I click on the notification:

2015-03-18 19.01.17.png

Other strange thing. When I put in my French SIM cart and activate data roaming, it goes through Tigo and I get internet access. Only difference is that the network name, when shown, is "TIGO" whereas with my Colombian SIM card it is "TIGO 4G".

I agree that is sounds like wrong APN settings, but I checked them countless times, so I don't know what else to do.

I've moved this thread into the Moto G forum, for anyone who has any ideas about what's going on here and how to resolve it, it's possibly a carrier subsidy lock.

Looks like it's trying to find a landing page or proxy, IP address range 10.*.*.* is sometimes used when you have to sign into a network, hence the "!" mark. Was this phone originally supplied by and locked to a carrier? Could be a subsidy lock, and the update has re-activated it. Now it's in Columbia and using the Columbian carrier's SIM, it can't find the original French carrier's proxy, or there's something at "10.25.66.139" that's going "connection refused", i.e. it's rejecting. But when you put the French SIM in, it is finding the French carrier's proxy via roaming, and that's why you're getting internet OK, probably extremely expensive though. Anything 10.*.*.* is not in the normal public internet IP address range, it's reserved for routers, proxys, intranets, and other private usage.

Locked and subsidised phones supplied by Sprint in the US can do this. It's called a Master Subsidy Lock(MSL), and they're configured to only use Sprint's proxy, which is a problem if that's not the carrier. A similar thing could be happening here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. The phone wasn't bought through a particular carrier and I have used it from the start on multiple carriers in France and overseas without having to unlock anything. Would you rather agree that there is no other reason that the network doesn't work on Android 5 if it worked on Android 4? Does the carrier really has to do anything to support a newer version?

I can't see that a carrier has anything to do with supporting an Android version. There must be a different issue. Some folks on here have suggested to always do a factory reset (yes you will loose anything saved to your phone such as photos and apps, so save any data to your computer first (once you sign back into your Google account all your apps will re-download and install)) after an OTA to a newer version of Android.

Back
Top Bottom