• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Not detecting wifi at all

samcoe11

Lurker
I just activated my friends old razr mini and it is not able to detect any wifi when I know it is available. The old owner did not notice this problem because he had an unlimited data plan thus did not need to connect to wifi.

No available connections show up at all. I took my phone to verizon to see if they could get it working and they could not. My phone is out of warranty so they couldn't replace it.

Has anyone had this sort of issue or know anything about fixing it? thanks

o Android Forums.

What device are you asking about? This is the Droid Mini forum. I'm not sure what a Razr Mini is.

Do you have WiFi turned on on the device?

... Thom

Sorry I just noticed I posted this in the wrong forum. Its a droid RAZR m. And yes its turned on. There is no apparent reason for it to not be working, as even the Verizon store people couldn't get it working.

I moved this thread to the forum dedicated to the phone.

Wondering if assumptions are correct ...

Is it root-ed perhaps.

Since it is new-to-you did you do a Factory Data Reset?

... Thom

Yea I did it once before I activated it to my account and then again once Verizon said they couldn't do anything to it. It has not been rooted. Is there anything I could do to fix it ifbi do root it?

You've done what you could to test an un-root-ed phone.

You could ask in the All Things Root sub-forum about total recovery from root-ing.

It certainly seems like a hardware failure from what you have said.

... Thom

Does the M have bluetooth on or off. I had the same problem with my phone not connecting to my home WiFi. After reading this somewhere else in this forum I discovered that when I turned bluetooth off, my phone would almost immediately connect to my WiFi router. Funny thing is that after a few minutes if I turn bluetooth on again both functions continue to operate and I don't have any problem until I leave and return to my home again. Not too pleased that I have to perform this dance every time I come home, but at least it's working.

Oh, and my phone is not rooted

Does the M have bluetooth on or off. I had the same problem with my phone not connecting to my home WiFi. After reading this somewhere else in this forum I discovered that when I turned bluetooth off, my phone would almost immediately connect to my WiFi router. Funny thing is that after a few minutes if I turn bluetooth on again both functions continue to operate and I don't have any problem until I leave and return to my home again. Not too pleased that I have to perform this dance every time I come home, but at least it's working.

Oh, and my phone is not rooted
I have played around with Bluetooth both on and off...nothing helps and I still can't even see any available WiFi connections.I'll look into rooting

samcoe11, welcome to the site :hello:

I highly doubt that rooting your phone will fix it. I believe that when Thom mentioned that your WiFi problems are a hardware failure, from what I am reading I have to agree. You have done the factory data reset, so I don't know if there is much else you can do.

There is a _slim_ (and I mean very slim) posiblility that if you can root it and unlock the bootloader there might be a radio file afloat to fix it, or better, an .sbf file to try to restore everything to more than stock. But it's a slim chance and depending on what software version you have it could not be an option at all.

Post your software version just for kicks . . . .

... I thought the question was ... "are you sure you aren't root-ed?". Being root-ed might account for the failure. If you can know for sure you aren't then hardware error seems most likely.

This is always a question when you get a device that is not new.

... Thom

And I agree, Thom.

But like I said, there _might_ be a _very_ slight glimmer. I doubt that any of this will work, but you can, samcoe11, root and unlock your bootloader which would enable you to be able to flash via RSD Lite a stock .sbf file which can be found here:

Motorola Firmwares

I won't spell out the process to flash that bebause you would still need to do this first:

Link to rooting and unlocking bootloader on your specific version:

http://androidforums.com/droid-razr-m-all-things-root/853373-unlock-your-bootloader.html

Again, I agree with Thom and doubt that your problem is software related, but if you want to be reckless and have another phone for backup, then what the heck?

Back
Top Bottom