• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rgarner

Android Expert
May 9, 2017
I had hardly noticed docs, sheets, and slides on the Moto G Plus. When I investigated, I found out that not only are they part of the horrifying googooplex but they actually contain mb of data. I certainly did not put anything there as far as I know. What could this dark matter be?

Built in Google bloatware. But it's apparently only bad if Samsung includes IMO their better apps, but if Google does it, it's ok. Go figure.

I remember when Android had no 'google' apps and was fully AOSP and had a store called Android Market. totally superior, and I truly miss it. I wish someone would go to the effort of reviving the classic Android versions and the Market again, like they did to the Wii software, but nope.

I mean honestly. People revived the '90s internet, aka, The Old Net, but nobody can put effort into allowing me to use Android 2.3 again with VoLTE support??

Reactions: Rgarner
Upvote 0
I remember Android Market...the good old days. What is AOSP? I figured bloatware but what could all the data be? What would happen if I deleted their crap apps (just those three)?
Android Open Source Project(aosp) is a project the Google oversees and has ultimate say. but put in simple terms AOSP is an open source code for basic Android OS. it is pure Android and nothing else. basically anybody can use it to create their own custom rom. at first google did not want anybody to incorporate google services into custom roms so you had to flash gapps (Google Apps) separately. back in the day Cyanogen Mod was the best AOSP rom IMHO. today it is now called Lineage OS.

and megabytes (mb) is so small, but if you want you can just delete it. no harm no foul.

Upvote 0
They are all around 200 - 300 mb. The cache is from 0 to 4.10 kb. The rest is either app itself or user data. Are you sure I won't be trashing my goods if I dump them? Is there any more goo I can wipe off the Moto G Play? Why can't I find the 3 little dots to roll back the version on any app I've checked lately? I was able to earlier.

Upvote 0
they are large because they are modern versions. Or they got updated behind your back. I noticed once that even if I never set up Play Store, it still tried to 'update' specific apps, mainly Google apps. Even with updates turned off, they still update select apps, unless you disable download manager in system which breaks Play Store and is one of the first things I do on a new or used device.

CyanogenMod peaked at 7.1, based on 2.3 Gingerbread. Nothing Lineage makes even comes close to the level of deep customization baked into CM 7.1. Custom ROMs are mosly just unofficial updates at this point.

I still have my Nexus 6, which has VoLTE hardware support, but nobody makes a 2.3-based ROM for it. XDA laughed at the suggestion, even when I said I'd pay for development if needed. It's like everyone wants to forget that era of Android completely. Android today is a bad iOS clone. I mean, sure, I made a convincing imitation of Sense 3 + TouchWiz UX on my Z Flip 4, because Samsung bakes in a lot of stuff that comes closer to the baked in options in CM 7.1, but it's always going to be half done. I cannot get the Gingerbread lock screen, status bar style, or launcher UX.

How many people even bother with a Wii or 3DS at this point? Because a few devs managed to resurrect WiiNet24 and many of the built-in apps on the Wii, including Forecast Channel, multiplayer backend, and Everybody Votes, and on the 3DS they resurrected MiiVerse, muliplayer, the friends system, EShop, and much more in homebrew. The 90s internet is able to be browsed from a Windows 95 PC running Internet Explorer 5 for crying out loud thanks to the Old Net. So why can't I use Android 2.3 today? Or have someone bring back Android Market since it's not Google's but open source in the first place? I think it would have been great to have F-droid use Android Market and its UX for a front end. That's no different than having eshop back on 3DS because it just redirects the requests to a spoofed API that makes the app think nothing has changed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones