• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Not receiving texts from iphone users

• Thread starter Thread starter candi123
  • Start date Start date
C

candi123

Hi. I have an android samsung galaxy s4 and just recently began having an issue getting text messages from iphone users. If I do receive them I get them 1 or 2 days later. Is it my phone or the iphone?

Did you previously use an iPhone yourself? The most common cause of this is iMessaging thinking that your number is still attached to an iPhone, so other iPhones automatically send text messages via iMessaging rather than standard SMS.

If this is the case, I believe the best solution is to log in to iCloud.com and remove the old device from your account.

I've had better luck using Hangouts, Textra and/or Google Messenger. I say better because I still miss some MMS from my iPhone toting family but I get most of them now. For whatever reason the stock messaging app just doesn't work as well with MMS but other apps do. Try a different messaging client and see if that helps at all.

This is a crazy situation, and thankfully there looks to be a class action lawsuit against Apple regarding this "iMessage Purgatory" issue. Not sure where it stands, probably nothing will happen.

I just switched to Android, and missing texts from iPhone users was an immediate and aggravating issue. Alas, I was in iMessage Purgatory. I was able to disassociate my number from my Apple ID by turning off iMessage on my old phone. This fixed direct text messages, but not group messaging. I just simply cannot rely on getting group messages when multiple iPhone users are in the group.

In my case, if I am in a group message with other iPhone users, I stop getting messages (sometimes). This seems to be because the iPhone texts switch over to iMessage, and the messages never make it out of the Apple iMessage gateways to the SMS systems. Worse yet, the iPhone users see a blue message (meaning iMessage, green is SMS), and receive no failure message. So, they think I received the text successfully, and I have no idea they even sent one.

There is a setting in the iPhone, SETTINGS-GENERAL-MESSAGES->SEND AS SMS, this is supposed to forward texts to SMS if iMessage is unavailable. It was disabled on about half of my friends' iPhones. Switching this on does not seem to have fixed the issue, although Apple did recommended this. Besides, are you going to call all your contacts and explain to them that they have to enable this setting? Seems unreasonable.

So, it's not your phone. It's Apple's iMessage architecture. Will it be fixed? Probably not. But, there are 2 possible hypothetical solutions I can think of:

1: Apple fixes their iMessage architecture to ensure group and individual messages to non-apple devices don't get stuck in iMessage purgatory. They could send also consider sending non-delivery receipts, just like you get if an email fails to a recipient. This would be ideal.
2: Apple releases an iMessage app for Android. This would be OK, but it means Apple forces masses of users over to their proprietary system.

Both are unlikely.

Another solution include using 3rd party, platform independent messaging apps, like WhatsApp. But, you cannot reasonably expect to convince all your personal and professional contacts to download and use this app just for your convenience.

There is, in my opinion, a reasonable expectation that simple direct-text and group-text messaging should work no matter what the provider/platform. iMessage conflicts with this expectation.

Back
Top Bottom