• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NOTE 2 from VERIZON switch to T-Mobile data

bob52r

I just tried to change the verizon sim for a t-mobile sim and i am not getting data. other poster have suggested that this type of switch generally works, but is not perfect.

I am getting no data at all. verizon says the phone is unlocked and i am getting cell phone service on t-mobile, just mo data.

Do i need to change any settings? please help!

Call t-mo tech support and have them verify your data plan. Also check your APN. I did the same thing with my old VZW g3 and it took a few tweaks to get the data flowing.

The "only data" frequencies that match are LTE, and you have to have a 4g LTE signal available.

That is going to make your efforts pretty futile because when the 4g signal fades, the AT&T / T-Mo data frequencies are on other frequency bands than what the Verizon phone supports.

I found that out the "real hard way" once at a friend's funeral. Stayed at a hotel in Windsor, MO, USA and there is no Verizon presence in that town at all, nowhere..... I complained to VZW support ( hotel WiFi chat ), but all I got was a bunch of Flim Flam about how their "map shows solid coverage"... uh huh, and I have more money than Donald Trump... :(

AT&T was solid there, my friends with AT&T, T-Mobile, Cricket, ( all sharing partners ) had good solid service.

Those of us on Verizon were very upset, and for me, it was the 1st time in 20+ years that I was in a town w/o any coverage at all. No SMS even, that is how bad it was. Usually SMS can sneak thru... but when I left that town headed home, I had SMS messages "unsent from the previous day".

You have to remember, Verizon phones are CDMA, not GSM, and the 4g LTE band is the only GSM data band that a VZW phone will work on.

Last edited:
I just tried to change the verizon sim for a t-mobile sim and i am not getting data. other poster have suggested that this type of switch generally works, but is not perfect.

I am getting no data at all. verizon says the phone is unlocked and i am getting cell phone service on t-mobile, just mo data.

Do i need to change any settings? please help!

There is no 4g data support for the Vzw model when using T-Mobile,only 2g & 3g :
http://www.willmyphonework.net/
Also,with that,you may not even have 3g support in your area,as the VZW Model only has support for one of the two T-Mobile 3g bands.

Back
Top Bottom