• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Note 3 and MacBook Air compatibility

Risley

Hi All,

It's been a while since I've been here. I had a Note 2 and sold it some time ago and went back to the iPhone due to issues like getting pictures from Note 2 into iPhoto and some other things.

I have the 5 S now and I just can't take iOS7 any longer and the small screen is killing me.

Has anything changed with Samsung and or the note 3 in terms of making it easier to communicate with my Macs ?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

IP to IP? Piece of cake.

App to app? I have some Xanax if you want to see how close to the edge of sanity you can get.

I don't own a Mac so I can't try this but it seems to me that Android phones in general are more cloud-oriented than sync to PC or Mac oriented. So thinking of photos specifically I have mine Note 3 set up so photos taken with the camera are backed up to Google+ and Dropbox which means I can then view them with a web browser from any device that has one including obviously a PC or a Mac or my Linux desktop.

If you specifically want to use iPhoto have you checked out whether it has cloud sync capabilities? There are loads of on-line photo sharing sites that could be the basis or sharing between phone and computer. Or what about a general cloud storage service like Dropbox - is there a Mac client? If so can you configure iPhoto to look in a folder maintained by Dropbox for new photos?

My Note 3 plays very well with my 2013 MBA & retina equipped fully loaded 2012 MBP. My personal desktop / server is a Mac Pro.

In fact in many cases I find my Android phones are easier to maintain within my Mac environment that I would have anticipated until I had the pleasure of first hand experience.

There's a plethora of choices when it comes to accomplishing this. It's all about your needs.

Hi Zipred,
What is your personal favorite to transferring photos from Note 3 to MBA and MBP ?

I am accustomed to photo stream on our Macs and would like something very similar. I'm not a Dropbox user and would like to somehow just snap a pic and see it appear on the Mac with little to no headache.

Thanks a ton

I was in a similar situation. I had an iPhone 4 and iPad and then I switched to the Galaxy S3. Got upset with the battery life and got an iPhone 5 and then vowed never to go back to Android. I then bought a Note 8 tablet to see what it could do and wound up liking it. That evolved into getting the Note 3 and the Galaxy Gear watch.

Since I bought the Note 8, I have never picked up the iPad. Since I got my Note 3, I have not picked up my iPhone 5 other then putting it in a location where I get ready to sell items on Ebay. The transition back to Android from the iPhone 5 has not been easy. Apple does not make the transition simple. Google has tried to simplify some of this for you but. its still awkward. I am slowly moving stuff over.

I downloaded Kies for Mac and that seems to work for pictures, music and stuff. i must admit that I like the open system and flexibility of the Note operating system much more than the iPhone and some of the stuff I can do within the phone.

I am a Mac user and use Dropbox to upload all of my photos and videos and then I use the Dropbox app on my Mac to transfer all of the files out of it.

I also use Airdroid to transfer any other files I might need to use.

No problems at all.

Getting a Mac to talk to a Note 3 is frankly a mess. But if you are reasonably disciplined, it's manageable. Use Android File Transfer, Delete Kies on the phone. I use Android File Transfer to talk to my Macs several times a day and it (mostly) does work but it's all not terribly flexible. All you can do is move files one way or another (to directories you want) or use the Mac to delete files or directories on the Note 3. That's it.

Back
Top Bottom