• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Note 3 from scratch?

Pinmac1

Android Enthusiast
Just bought a Note 3 to replace my Note 1 and it looks great. I'm having serious battery problems with my Note and I can't pin it down to one 1 app. My plan was to build up the Note 3 from scratch, installing each app at a time to see if there was a problem.

When I booted up it asked if I wanted to log in to my Google account, I agreed as I wanted my Google contacts and calendar synchronised on the phone. Unfortunately, it also downloaded all my apps. As I haven't yet transferred my SIM to the new phone or installed a micro SD card there were a lot of failures and it's a bit of a mess now. It also downloaded 4.4.2.

I would like to start again as in my original plan. I assume that if I now reset to factory settings, KitKat will still be there but I will have a clean slate to reinstall my apps? How do I stop all my apps from downloading automatically? I didn't happen when I last reset my original Note. I intend to buy a new 64Gb micro SD card too.

Thanks for any help.

Well the only thing I can think of is go into the Playstore settings and turn off the auto-update feature, this might prevent them from installing

Otherwise try uninstalling everything Facebook, I have heard that it might cause this bad battery issue.

Thanks to you both. I had a look and found that the Playstore setting was set to auto-update, which surprised me as I always had that off on the Galaxy Note so that I could choose whether to update.

mrao, I'm not sure which setting you mean. I have gone in to Settings>general>Backup and Reset. Do you mean the both the Backup my data and the Automatic Restore both of which are ticked?

Thanks to you both. I had a look and found that the Playstore setting was set to auto-update, which surprised me as I always had that off on the Galaxy Note so that I could choose whether to update.

mrao, I'm not sure which setting you mean. I have gone in to Settings>general>Backup and Reset. Do you mean the both the Backup my data and the Automatic Restore both of which are ticked?

Remove the one that says "Automatic Restore", that means that when you restore your device it's going to automatically download all of your applications again :)

Thanks, Digital Controller, I have done that. Just waiting for my 64Gb micro SD card to arrive and I'll reset and start again.

I found my Note 3 to be a bit battery heavy the first couple of days and then it seemed to stabilize itself, bit like when flashing a new ROM it can take a few charge cycles

I finally got around to doing this today. Unfortunately, exactly the same thing has happened and all my apps have started to download. This despite me checking that Auto-update apps was switched off in Google Play before I reset. When I realsied that they were all downloading I checked the Play store again and it was now set to allow auto-update. The restore setting mentioned above is unticked so it seems to be Google Play causing the problem.

I've googled about auto-updating but all I can find is how to turn on or off auto-update which doesn't help. I have stopped the apps from downloading but it's too late and there are loads on there already. Please can anyone suggest what I can do?

Thanks, Digital Controller, but there was no check box to select whether or not to install my apps. I have been messing around today, doing several resets and trying different things and I found a way to bodge it. I logged in to my Google account which then set off the apps downloading. I quickly went to Google Play and pressed Stop. In my app drawer I looked to see what had been downloaded and there were only 4 apps there. I deleted the ones I didn't want.

I think that gets me pretty much to where I wanted to be. Not pretty but it seems to have worked and I am now rebuilding the phone to how I want it.

Thanks, Digital Controller, but there was no check box to select whether or not to install my apps. I have been messing around today, doing several resets and trying different things and I found a way to bodge it. I logged in to my Google account which then set off the apps downloading. I quickly went to Google Play and pressed Stop. In my app drawer I looked to see what had been downloaded and there were only 4 apps there. I deleted the ones I didn't want.

I think that gets me pretty much to where I wanted to be. Not pretty but it seems to have worked and I am now rebuilding the phone to how I want it.

Yeah that's what I usually do when I want to start fresh, annoying, but pretty much the only way I stop the downloads.

Back
Top Bottom