• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Note 4 rebooting almost every day randomly

mbressman

This is my second Sprint Galaxy Note 4 (the one I had previously had issues reconnecting to WiFi networks after going out-of-range and switching to 4G, and even more annoyingly the battery would die even if fully charged if I took more than one picture at a time) and I haven't even fully set it up or installed that much on it and now it seems to be rebooting almost every day at random times. Some days it reboots several times in the day. I have no idea what is causing this, but is there any troubleshooting or diagnostic testing I can do to figure out why this is happening? Or does anyone have any suggestions for how I can either figure out what's causing this or fix it? The phone is running:

- Software version: N910PVPS4DPD1
- Hardware version: N910P.05
- Android version: 6.0.1
- Android security patch level: April 2, 2016
- Baseband version: N910PVPS4DPD1
- Not rooted or otherwise modified aside from settings changes and installed apps (and international unlock done by Sprint)

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Hi, was the phone new when you received it? If not it's possible that you have a dying battery, this can throw up all manner of strange faults, might be worth trying a new battery for what they cost. Phil

Hi, was the phone new when you received it? If not it's possible that you have a dying battery, this can throw up all manner of strange faults, might be worth trying a new battery for what they cost. Phil

Funny you should mention that. As I said, this was my second Note 4, and I received it from Sprint supposedly as a new replacement for the problematic previous one, but only recently activated it and began using it. Prior to activating this one, I ordered an OEM replacement battery for the other Note 4 direct from Samsung and it's been a month and a half and I still haven't actually received that replacement battery yet. I'm dealing with them now trying to figure out why that is, but will definitely try replacing this battery with that new one as soon as I get it!

Might be worth trying a factory data reset

I agree this might be a solution, but also tends to be a last resort for me. I rely upon my phone heavily, and considering how much they are like computers nowadays, a factory reset would entail me first backing up a lot of stuff, and then spending several hours (or more) setting everything up again - definitely time I'd prefer to spend doing something else. However, if it comes down to it I might have to go this route, but first am going to see if there's any possibility of figuring out what is causing these random reboots first. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Hi,

A while ago my Note started to spontaneously reboot, which was frustrating because it was running great up to that point. Since it coincided with a significant increase in battery drain, I went looking for a culprit and eventually found out that an upgrade to my weather app was seemingly the root cause. After disabling that application I have no more spontaneous reboots.

I don't know how frequent your reboot problem is (mine was every couple of days). If it is relatively frequent for you, you could try booting into safe mode to see if any 3rd party applications are at fault (i.e. the phone runs stable in safe mode). If this is the case then you will need to play hunt the buggy app.

Good luck with the bug hunt ;)

Regards,
Eric.

I use a different tack, I just keep the Internet turned OFF all the time when the phone is asleep.

Then, I only turn it on if the situation calls for needing the internet.
The Weather apps are a PITA because you can't make them shut up, unless you disable them. But, if you keep the internet turned off, they can't do anything.

My Note 4 has not ever rebooted itself once and I have owned it for about 8 months or so.

Back
Top Bottom