• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
CNET likes to use slideshows so you need to advance to the right to view the tips:

note8_tips.png

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I tried the Live Message thing and it worked, depending on the app that receives it. For example - it was animated if I sent it via Facebook Messenger... but in Chomp SMS it was a static image. So be aware that, depending on the app your recipient is using, they may or may not get the animation.

Here's a must-have app... Note Buddy Pro. I have custom sounds for detaching and attaching the S Pen (lightsaber on and off). Well worth the money! Turn off sounds in the S Pen settings and then turn on sounds in Note Buddy.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hey guys, have any of you found the way to turn short video clips into GIFs like the Note 7 did? I can't find it...

By the way, when your Note 8 comes out of the box it is set to full HD resolution. You need to go into settings for the display and set it to WQHD if you want the full deal.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, have any of you found the way to turn short video clips into GIFs like the Note 7 did? I can't find it...
On the Smart Select edge panel there is an icon labeled red icon labeled "Animation".

Sakitech has a good video on the N8 camera.

Upvote 0
The Galaxy Note 8's Always On Display (AOD) gives you quick information without unlocking your phone and diving into apps. It’s a great way to save time and see at a glance what’s going on.

Here's how you can turn it on/off or customize it with various layouts.
  1. Go to Settings > Lock screen and security
  2. Tap the Always On Display toggle switch to turn it on/off
  3. Tap the Always On Display (words) to customize
  4. Choose one of the Clock Style layouts
  5. Toggle Show always to disable at certain times of day using a set schedule

The Galaxy Note 8's curved displays means you get to enjoy Samsung's new Edge Screen features. There's a a whole lot you can do with it.

Shortcuts to apps & people
  1. Swipe the Edge screen handle from the edge of the screen
  2. Swipe left or right on the panel until you see People or Apps
  3. Tap the + icon to add an app or contact
  4. To remove an app or contact, long press and drag to the trash
  5. Drag the apps or contacts to re-order the list
You can add more panels by going to Settings > Display > Edge screen. Select Edge panels.

Edge Lighting
You can have the edge of the display light up when you receive notifications.
  1. Go to Settings > Display
  2. Select Edge screen
  3. Toggle on Edge lighting
  4. Tap Edge lighting and choose when to show it

Game Tools is a set of advanced options for use while playing games on the Galaxy S8+. If you do a lot of mobile gaming, you will want to check out the Game Tools.
  1. Open a game
  2. If this is the first time, you'll be asked to enable Game Tools
  3. The bottom right button lock and dim the screen, so you can't accidentally touch it
  4. The bottom left button brings up more tools
    1. Full-screen mode
    2. No alerts during game
    3. Hard press button lock
    4. Edge touch lock
  5. Game Tools also allows you to record your gameplay by pressing the record button

Taking a screenshot Galaxy Note 8 and sharing it to other apps or contacts is easy. It might be different from previous Samsung devices but either way, here's how you do it:
  1. Press and hold the power button and volume down button simultaneously.
  2. Wait until you see the screenshot animation
For a brief moment after taking a screenshot, you'll have the following options:
  • Bixby Vision - Search for similar images online, or a specific product via shopping
  • Scroll capture - Take a scrolling screenshot of a webpage/app
  • Draw - Doodle over your screenshot then crop, share, or save (you'll need to give Screen write permission to access photos, media, and files on your device)
  • Crop - Crop your screenshot then save then draw, share, or save
  • Share - Immediately share your screenshot to another app, or by creating a link via Link Sharing.
If sharing through Link Sharing, you'll have to confirm you want to share your contacts' information with Samsung. Link Sharing is temporary and links expire after 24 hours.

Palm swipe to capture
Of course, Samsung still includes their unique Palm swipe to capture feature. This allows you to take a screenshot by swiping your hand across the display. You'll find it inside Settings > Advanced features > Palm swipe to capture > ON.

The Galaxy Note 8 comes with a user manual already in the box, but in case you'd rather have access to it in digital form, the entire user manual can be viewed/downloaded here:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c.../SM-N950F_UM_EU_Nougat_Eng_Rev.1.0_170912.pdf

It's pretty lengthy, but covers just about anything and everything you'd ever want to do with the device. So if you ever need help or run into any problems, try checking there.

Galaxy Note 8 motion photos save video IMG_20171009_141502.jpg

The Galaxy Note 8 has the ability to capture photos with short video clips attached to them. They're called Motion Photos and they're Samsung's equivalent to Live Photos on the iPhone.

If you try to share Motion Photos -- whether inside messaging or social apps -- they'll only appear as a standard still photo (JPG). But if you want to extract the video file from Motion Photos and share it, here's how:
  1. Enable Motion photos in your Camera app settings
  2. Take a Motion photo by pressing the shutter button (same as a regular photo)
  3. Open the Gallery app and open/view your Motion Photo
  4. Tap on the Play Motion Photo button to begin playing the attached video clip
  5. While the video clip is playing, tap anywhere on screen to pause it
  6. Tap on the 3-dot menu in the upper right corner
  7. Select "Save video"
The video will then be placed next to the photo it was extracted from and you can view/share it from inside your Gallery app. Easy peasy.

Upvote 0
How to Turn Off Bixby Button:
  1. In order to get the most important Bixby update in Bixby’s short history, you’ll simply need to open Bixby first. Sure, for old time’s sake, let’s press that Bixby button one last time to open Bixby Home.
  2. You should see a prompt to update Bixby (tap the “Update” option in the pop-up), which will then lead you through a bunch of Bixby-related files updating.
  3. Once done, you’ll want to scroll all of the way up to the top of Bixby until you see the three icons to the right of “Hello Bixby.” They should look like the icons in the GIF above, with a globe icon, settings gear, and 3-dot menu.
  4. Tap that settings gear, watch as a new setting appears that allows you to stop the Bixby button from opening Bixby Home.
  5. Enjoy life.
Copied from:
http://www.droid-life.com/2017/09/18/how-to-turn-off-bixby-s8-note8/

Reactions: WeeWilly
Upvote 0
When the screen is off, hard press the home button (literally press the screen hard - it's got pressure sensitivity, remember) to bypass the lock screen and go straight to the home screen. Obviously you'll still have to unlock if it's locked.
Requires AOD with the home button displayed, and the unlock with home button setting enabled in the nav bar settings.

You can also double tap the home button instead of pressing power. This will take you to the lock screen.

Sorry if this is a repeat - the forums app is being weird about showing me previous replies.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170918-125535.jpg
    Screenshot_20170918-125535.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 659
Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Hello gang,

I found a small battery saving adjustment that will make this battery last even longer. I'm currently getting 24hrs + with full charge with heavy use. But, first two days I noticed even though I wasn't using my phone during some idle time battery was going down. I played with it a few times and found that GPS is the evil culprit of this. For example I disabled my GPS this morning before full charge that finished at 10am and I'm still at 100% (about 2hrs). I did open and check few things but no more battery going down 1 or 2 % out of the blue.

So hint is if you are not using your GPS shut it down because it will cause small amounts of drain.

Hope this helps some people.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi does anyone know how to actually accomplish #6 on this list? "If you want to keep a note handy for later, you can turn it into a floating app bubble you can move around the screen." I think it would be useful for me but can't figure out how to actually do this. Thanks!

Go to Settings > Advanced features > Multi window and turn on Pop-up view action. Now, create a note and select Minimize window in the upper right corner. The note should appear as a floating app bubble.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones