• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Notification Issues

komobu

Notifications are driving me crazy. My phone will just beep. I have no idea why. If I drag my thumb from the top of the screen to the bottom, all I see is that I have a voice message from 3 days ago. So why is it beeping today? Is there some type of app that will stop all noise outside of the alarm clock, calendar, Text Message and Phone Ringer? I am more than willing to pay for an app that does that. I have disabled the notifications in the apps I can think of. Please tell me how I can figure out what is causing my S4 to beep.

I just started up my brand new Galaxy Note 3 a few days ago and everything about it is simply spectacular ... with one exception: Notifications!! I probably get one about every five minutes and there is nothing new in the pull down status. Nothing at all. Like komobu, I would pay for an App that would fix this issue.

Unfortunately, while you can set a different ringtone for phone calls, you cannot for text messages. Texts are the same as any other notification so I can't turn the blasted thing off globally.

I've looked through every app I can think of and have found a couple of notification settings within them which I have turned off. But I can't find anything else and I still get these annoying dings constantly. Help!

Welcome to Android! lol! Notifications on my S4 are terrible. I have to go into each individual app to change them, assuming I can find the place in settings to do so. Some I can change, some I can't. Sometimes, like the OP, I get notifications either by sound or by LED and I can't, for the life of me, figure out where they are coming from.

BlackBerry's ability to control the notifications from a single location and silence them simply, as well as the Hub to see what the notifications are is brilliant by comparison.

I've just gotten used to it, I guess. Android is progressing a light speed. Maybe the geniuses over at Google will get a clue about notifications and give us some relief one day soon.

Unfortunately, while you can set a different ringtone for phone calls, you cannot for text messages. Texts are the same as any other notification so I can't turn the blasted thing off globally.
If you're saying what I think you're saying, that's not quite right. You CAN set a different notification tone for texts (in text app > settings, scroll down to "Notification settings" and then "select ringtone" ). I have a separate tone for texts and emails -- I just like them different.

This should (I haven't tested it myself, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work) enable you to set your GENERAL ringtone to "silent" (settings > my device > sound > notifications > silent) while actually keeping a non-silent notification tone for your texts.

For random unidentifiable notifications, you might try running an app that will go through your apps and attempt to find the culprit. I've used "Addsons Detector" to find apps giving me "push notifications" -- which, in my case, are usually unwanted advertising. Run the app, find out what apps are notifying me of things I don't want, uninstall the problem apps .... result: no more unwanted notifications.

Thanks Adara. It worked. I sent my main notification sound to silent, and then went into the alarm, calendar, and text message app and set there ringers to a different sound. Now all is well!

komobu;[URL="tel:6248299" said:
6248299[/URL]]Thanks Adara. It worked. I sent my main notification sound to silent, and then went into the alarm, calendar, and text message app and set there ringers to a different sound. Now all is well!

That's great to hear. You all do know that you can set your phone to silent/vibrate by holding down the power button too.

Back
Top Bottom