• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nougat for Shamu

I agree. A clean install is the only way to go.
I ended up being lazy, and did a 'dirty' flash. I flashed everything except userdata (didn't want to restore my data/apps). So far, it is working without a problem. But I agree - a clean install is probably safer.

Sooooo, if I were to open the zip and remove recovery.img and flash. Would I then have factory Nougat with TWRP installed?
You should. Worst case, if there are issues, just flash stock recovery, and then, flash TWRP.
I've stopped flashing TWRP - I just boot into TWRP, and flash supersu. I stick with the stock ROM/kernel, so no need for TWRP after that. I just need adaway to block those script popups about malware

Reactions: Bg260
Upvote 0
I ended up being lazy, and did a 'dirty' flash. I flashed everything except userdata (didn't want to restore my data/apps). So far, it is working without a problem. But I agree - a clean install is probably safer.

You should. Worst case, if there are issues, just flash stock recovery, and then, flash TWRP.
I've stopped flashing TWRP - I just boot into TWRP, and flash supersu. I stick with the stock ROM/kernel, so no need for TWRP after that. I just need adaway to block those script popups about malware

Experimented with my Nexus 7. Ended up with a bootloop and no recovery, reflashing now with TWRP 3.0.2 renamed recovery.img.

So I went ahead and did the OTA last night (I wont have time to flash it till the weekend.) I do have 7.0 now but no pixel launcher? It was a very weird OTA - I went ahead and factory re-set afterwards to clean everything up but still came back with the same old launcher. ???? :thinking:

There was a question yesterday about the Pixel Launcher not coming with the 6P update as well.
http://androidforums.com/threads/7-0-on-nexus-6p-launcher-is-different.1077433/#post-7403442

Reactions: shalemail
Upvote 0
So convince me to go all nougatty. :p :D
Well for me ... it's probably as much about the "clean install" as Nougat ... the old N6 had gotten a little laggy. After clean install it's sharp again. As far as features it's little things for me. I like the new multi task look and feel, the new pull down menu is MUCH better, you can rotate the home screen now (landscape) OH and I have experienced really good battery life.

It's a solid upgrade.

Reactions: Bg260
Upvote 0
so you cats are installing this THEN doing a factory reset?

I didn't take the OTA. I flashed the factory image with Fastboot. This wipes the device completely. I did a TiBu of apps, MMS and phone log, then migrated my internal storage to a PC using USB prior. The whole process took an hour or so.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones