• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ODIN Can't see my phone

Sword Fish

Android Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2011
Calgary, AB
Guys, I am trying to flash my phone to KK2 using ODIN. I put my phone in ODIN MODE using the three finger process and then plugged it into ODIN. (Yes I have USB Debugging enabled). I have the OPS file selected and also the single package. When I click on the Start button, I get a message "Please connect phones". I have the samsung drivers loaded and when I turn my phone on in Windows, Explorer sees the phone fine so the driver is there. I searched this forum and there are some suggestions but none of them are allowing my phone to be recognized by ODIN. BTW, there are no values loaded in "COM PORT Mapping" when I plug in my phone.

Anyone been in my situation and managed to finally get it working?

Ok, I got it to work but had to use an older version of ODIN. I was trying to use Odin Multiloader 4.42 and it wouldn't recognize my phone. I downloaded v1.85 from XDA and it recognized my phone immediately. Flashed in 3 1/2 minutes and now reports version 2.3.6 XWKK2. I don't notice a difference right now except a couple of new apps that are in foreign languages so I will just delete them.

There is a version KK5 but it called a Frankenstien version. Not very familiar with flashing so I am not sure what that means. I assume it is a newer build but I didn't know if it would wipe my phone so I didn't want to try it. Can anyone tell me if it wipes your phone?

Upvote 0
Ok, I got it to work but had to use an older version of ODIN. I was trying to use Odin Multiloader 4.42 and it wouldn't recognize my phone. I downloaded v1.85 from XDA and it recognized my phone immediately. Flashed in 3 1/2 minutes and now reports version 2.3.6 XWKK2. I don't notice a difference right now except a couple of new apps that are in foreign languages so I will just delete them.

There is a version KK5 but it called a Frankenstien version. Not very familiar with flashing so I am not sure what that means. I assume it is a newer build but I didn't know if it would wipe my phone so I didn't want to try it. Can anyone tell me if it wipes your phone?

i flashed the KK5 instead of the KK2. knowing it is frankenstein version. it didn't wipe anything on my phone. all my apps and contacts stuff are intact.

Upvote 0
Hello all,

I have been wrestling with this problem for three days now before I finally got a solution. Check all of the following as any of these can be culprits:

1. USB cables: Try different cables. I got mine working on both a standard cheap cable off ebay and an official Motorola cable but apparently it can make a difference.

2. USB debug off/on: Try both while your phone is powered up and running. If this doesnt work, try debug off then reboot into download mode and see if odin can detect it. If not, debug on, try again. Try a few times, unplug cable, plug back into phone, unplug from pc, plug back into different usb port.

3. Flash a new rom through rom manager. Try all of the above again.

4. Uninstall kies. Use CCleaner to remove odd bits of reg no longer in use. Go back into Samsung folder (program files x86 or program files) and find the folder for the usb drivers and click uninstall. Kies will not remove these drivers as part of its uninstall. After that go to device manager and uninstall the driver for android device. Reboot pc. reInstall kies. Go into samsung folder and install smartphone usb drivers manually. Check device manager, refresh, and make sure Galaxy S2 driver is not in the list of drivers not found. This may take a while and another reboot.

5. If odin is still not detecting the phone while powered on, reboot and try again in download mode. As before, try with debug on and debug off. Switch cables, etc etc.

Lots of time to be wasted, very frustrating, but if it works then you have your phone back.

From what I could see this was principally a case of corrupt drivers on Windows after I flashed to CM7. Not sure how this happened. If nothing is working then suspect the drivers. Its hard to clean the system of all the drivers and get the correct set of drivers reinstalled. Keep trying.

Best of luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones