• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Oem unlocking toggle

Thank you so much for your reply, ive been dubiois to put this although if i dont ask i wont get to the bottom of it all, no matter what phone i get i seem to have issues with this all began after i heard someone rummaging around in my bedroom like the sound of carrier bags being moved after that i started to misplace paperwork n my bank card every so often then itd turn up my last phone photos randomly appeared on them of me with funny filters blurred out a video of my living room from an unknown sender this phone i have now has a faint white screen on any screen i go on it looks like theres red icons at the bottom 1 for contacts 1 for messages i cant quite make them out, when i turn my phone on or take out n put my sim card back in theres an app called sim toolkit, in my settings theres 2 apps called sim toolkit and an o2 sim app with the same icon. So many things dont make sense to me because of my lack of knowledge its great this service is available. I have a friend tbat stays sometimes n he always wants devices that have bluetooth, its oh this is good cos it has bluetooth, oh ive got this radio cos its got bluetooth ive noticed alot sorry for boring you if i am n soumding crazy im not im just explaining the facts n i hate that i have a lack of knowledge. Can you pick anything out if what ive said to help me at all? If not its ok thank you for replying though it means alot :)

It would help a little if you broke your post down a bit: it's very hard to follow when it's a few hundred words with no punctuation.

OEM unlocking is something you should leave alone if you don't plan on rooting. Turning it on will also factory reset your phone, i.e. delete everything that's on it (it should warn you before doing that!), so if you did plan on using it you should back up anything important first. But the funny thing is that you can see it at all: I'd expect that to be in the "developer options" menu which is hidden unless you enable it, which you can't do by accident. So unless you enabled developer options yourself it's a bit strange that you can see it at all.

For the rest, well "SIM Toolkit" is normal and harmless, so don't worry about that. The "faint white screen" seems to have been addressed in another thread. I'm not sure I follow some of the rest well enough to attempt an answer.

Deffo agree n note taken, thats me being stressed note taken to be mindful if i want the help it needs to be readable!

Am i right in saying the devel options have an option to stop mic n camera access? I did it for security due to issues i was having, is this ok?

Thanks for your help n time.

I've never seen anything in developer options to stop mic and camera access for all apps. You can turn that off for individual apps in Settings > Apps though. I don't know what Android version you have (I think you said it was a Samsung in another thread), but on my Galaxy s21 (Android 13) the trick is to go into Settings > Apps, click on "Permission Manager" and you can then see a list of permissions and how many apps are allowed to use them (and how many are capable of doing so if you let them). Click on "Camera" or "Microphone" and you have a list of the apps that have access, and by clicking on those apps you can change their permissions so that only those you trust can use it.

But since an app should have to ask for permission before it can access either of these, in principle only those that you've said yes to should have that permission. Even so it might be worth a check - if you disable it for an app and change your mind later you can always re-enable it.

It's harmless to have developer options enabled (as long as you don't mess with things where you don't know what they do ;)). I was just concerned that it might have been enabled without you doing so, which would imply that someone had been messing with the phone.

Back
Top Bottom