• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Speed Test and WiMax Deployment Thread

I am hoping we see somewhat better average speeds from WiMax.

There have been times I've gotten over 4MB down on my 3GS.

Wow, on your Iphone 3GS? That is really nice mod. Sadly it is going to be a little while before we get that kind of speed.

I bet it your battery life just stopped.

Wow, just can not get over that. 4MBps. Wow.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm taking a vacation in FL next month so I did a search for Tampa ans Orlando and this thread came up.
After reading the 1st page with eieio's speedtest.net images I decided to check my area.
Odd thing is Sprint shows up with 4.79mb/s down and 1.9mb/s up speeds.

Now what does Sprint have that capable of those speeds?!

Upvote 0
I’m about 25miles outside of Philadelphia (Cherry Hill, NJ) and I get a notification on my phone that 4g is available. I log onto Speakeasy.net and test the speed:

11.60Mbps down
0.87Mbps up

The download speeds are almost what my Comcast speeds are. I’m impressed, and BTW, downloading an app and browsing felt like my cable modem. Good for you Sprint.:)

Upvote 0
I experienced the awesomeness of the Sprint 4G yesterday when, at work, I tethered my EVO to my PC (to circumvent the company filter) and watched the World Cup Live on espn3.com at full screen on my 32" monitor. everybody was amazed at the picture quality (the picture quality meter bar at the bottom showed a constant 5/7 and sometimes even hit 7/7)

and this whille others in the company struggled with watching crappy online streams

needless to mention I quickly gathered a good number crowd around my desk

oh yeah did I mention I was also browsing on the EVO and talking on the phone at the same time while watching the game?

ahh, it felt good

Upvote 0
I'm in Orlando, FL down at the International Orlando Airport end of town.

Sprint employees tell me this is the soft rollout for wimax, official is supposedly soon. I must be on the ass end of a coverage area because my EVO jumps off and on 4g constantly from my apt.

Any way, here's a couple of results I grabbed just sitting around my apartment.
This is my best result:
12817268.png

This is more of an average result with 1-2 Bars.
12947090.png

So far it's cool to have it, but here's hoping it gets better. I'll try it from UCF tomorrow as I think the coverage will be much stronger there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones