• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Official] Version 1 battery life thread

I have ambient mode on and it does have a minor impact on the battery, but i still easily get a full day use. I put my watch on in the morning around 8-ish and the only time i ever get a low battery warning is if I forget to take it off in the evening and then it's around 10 p.m.

I use it relatively heavily with a good number of voice searches and notifications on 4 separate email addresses, texts and reminders all day long.

The last update did not improve power for me, but then i also didn't do a reset after that update which I'm sure would help. But, I'm a lazy S.O.B. :p ;)

I have ambient mode on and it does have a minor impact on the battery, but i still easily get a full day use. I put my watch on in the morning around 8-ish and the only time i ever get a low battery warning is if I forget to take it off in the evening and then it's around 10 p.m.

I use it relatively heavily with a good number of voice searches and notifications on 4 separate email addresses, texts and reminders all day long.

The last update did not improve power for me, but then i also didn't do a reset after that update which I'm sure would help. But, I'm a lazy S.O.B. :p ;)
when you use ambient mode, do you have tilt to wake on or off? I tried it with tilt to wake on and found it distracting that the screen was continually going on and off as I moved my arms (much more so than with tilt to wake on while ambient off)

With ambient off and tilt to wake on, turning my watch vertical (with the 6 pointing toward the center of the earth) wakes it, even if I do so slowly. I do sometimes notice the lag after it goes vertical. Average around one second and usually pretty close to that. But I notice it varies occasionally from 0.5 sec to 3 sec by my estimation. One second doesn't bother me, but three seconds does. So I guess that could be helped by ambient as you say. Between battery life and the distraction off flashing on and off, I think I'll stick with ambient off.

Last edited:
I have been getting terrific battery life from mine, but I think I'm an average user, not heavy. I have ambient mode off for the most part, but think I am going to try a couple of days going with it on. It does make it easier to check the time. When I'm on the subway and running late I check the time often and not having to deliberately lift and turn my wrist is helpful.

I have a spare dock I carry in my man purse with the Moto portable power thingy on my key chain.

In a pinch I can whip that out and plop the watch on the charger in no time for a quick pick me up.

I easily get from 6am to midnight on any given day. I have not had a battery complaint since the first update.

Hey Lunatic, try a factory reset. You might be surprised. The few hiccups I have had were rectified with a reset.

I easily get from 6am to midnight on any given day. I have not had a battery complaint since the first update.

Hey Lunatic, try a factory reset. You might be surprised. The few hiccups I have had were rectified with a reset.
I'm waiting for the factory images for Marshmallow and then everything gets flashed/reset. :D

I have been getting consistent satisfactory battery drain of 5%/hr fur my normal day to day use or 10%/hr with heavy use (playing with the watch). Good enough for me...

Until last night. Put the watch on the charger just before midnight. During the night, I noticed my battery never reached 100% on the charger. It cycled up and down between 80 and 99 or so while in the charger. I Touched the charging screen and it got brighter for a few seconds like normal, then back to dim like normal. It Didn't feel unusually hot. I took it off the charger this morning at 5:15am at ninety something percent abattery. I Put it in theatre mode and drove to work. I Turned on watch face at work at 6:30 and immediately noticed battery is now 20%! (after 1.5 hour off the charger , mostly in theatre mode!)

Restarted phone and watch, recharged watch (it went to 100 this time as normal)...Battery usage since then is back to normal.

Seems"fixed l now. Just wondering what might have happened.

In the previous day or so, two things suspicious:

1-had installed animated watch face on watchmaker, although I didn't leave it active (changed to another face before bed)

2-had installed the lightr app **
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=us.instext.lightr
...and set the screen timeout to 30 seconds in that app, verified 30 second timeout behaviour, and left the setting at 30 sec when went to bed.

Screen shot attached from around 5.15am. It should have been charging behind just after midnight 10/15...but it's going up and down between 80 and 99. I think it never made it all the way to 100%based in the fact that it didn't reset the previous day's stats. Then when took it off the charger on right side of the graph at5:15am, it dropped like a rock (while driving to work. As you can see below the graph, the screen was the bigges single t user over that period of 24 hours or so, but not by much.

**I do realize I can also change the screen timeout time in watchmaker..I wanted the lightr app to be able to change it from the watch

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-15-06-29-33.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-15-06-29-33.png
    164.5 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Anything could have happened.

Google services can eat through battery usage.

A great place to look is the battery stats on the Android wear app as you've done and work from there.

Watchfaces that use weather and other things that call out to the internet will use more battery than others who don't.
Rogue apps, Bluetooth... Battery usage varies depending on the watch environment. There is no magic bullet on what can fix all battery issues...

Yeah, it was not a small increase in battery usage. Prevented phone from charging to 100, and then it dropped more than 60% (from 80%+ to 20%-) in just one hour and fifteen minutes after I took it off the charger (mostly in theatre mode)!

My software remains LCA44B...hasn't changed in a month so no big upgrades.
I've continued using the animated watch and the Lightr program... no recurrence.

fwiw I'm inclined to agree something like rogue app. It's a little disconcerting though. The next night I found myself peaking at the charging watch display in the middle of the night to make sure it got to 100%. Nothing to lose sleep over (pun intended), but I guess I'll keep an eye out for battery level at time I take the watch off the charger in the morning. If I find it not at 100% in the morning again, then I probably should reboot the watch and phone right then.

ive seen some cats across the interwebs complain about google services that use a lot of battery power.

sadly the only way to really crack down on this is to remove apps one at a time until the anomaly goes away. this is not practical for many but is really the best way to find the culprit.

maybe even running it stock with no extra faces or apps for a day to see if anything changes (if it doesn't, could be related to bluetooth and/or wifi if using that).

i dont worry about battery life on these devices. i have the moto portable power pack thingy that is on my keychain. i plug that into a spare charge dock for the moto 360 if im out away for power and it works nicely. small footprint...

I updated my phone a.w. App to 1.4 last weekend.

As I mentioned the update thread, I haven't seen much change in battery life.

There are no more battery stats in the new a.w. App, so I tried out wear battery stats app from the playstore (screenshot attached). Here's my first day with that app:

(Ambient off, wrist gestures off, tilt to wake on, brightness level one, screen timeout set to 10 seconds using the lightr app from the Play Store)

Off the charger at 6.30am.
Installed the app at ~10am at which time battery was 85%....starting point for the graph.

Now it's 11pm and I'm around 35%...
Wbs shows 4.3%/hr...I understand that.

It also says "uptime 5:24"...I'm Not sure what that means (any guesses?)

Under the heading "screen state" is a bar with red (screen on) and green (screen off). I don't think my screen ever stays on for more than a minute or two at a time so I don't believe the red bands should be that wide.

Then under that is "app activity". The first one is "hangman". I Didn't use that app at all. Nor did I use most of the apps there. I'd have thought Watchmaker (my watchface), Aeris wear weather, BeyondPod and Wear Tasker were used the most (other than maybe the system related apps) but they're not near the top of the list. I'm not sure what this is trying to tell me about which apps are using my juice.
Screenshot_2015-11-18-23-05-33.png

Last edited:
Got my V1 last week, updated to 5.1.1, seemed to be OK'ish, but then I updated the AW to 1.4, and then started to have crashes with motorola stop responding, google play services issues and bad battery drain (crashes on the watch)

Reset the watch and setup again, with the same AW version, and crashing again. Found a link on XDA about best steps to reset, which also included installing an older version of AW (1.1.1.1956917), and since then, no crashes on the watch. Also, at the moment, batery drain looks good. Had it on since 7.30 this morning, and is at 86% left on watch

Is there some sort of bug in AW 1.4, that would be draining but also causing these crashes?

Update to my post .... the battery is now dead, after 30 hrs. Left it off charge last night, and it died at around 1pm. This was with notifications on, ambient off, tilt to wake off, wifi off and the simple motorola watch face.

Once it is fully charged again, I will be trying to stick a Watchmaker face on, and see how I get on again

Checking out my Battery Stats this morning ... battery life definitely improved .. I mean .. 364 days till fully discharged ... nice ;)
Screenshot_2015-12-31-11-03-20.png

Lol, must have been some amazing tweaks in the update :)

I've got the same thing. Maybe wear battery stats app got confused calculating times across the new year. Battery statistics also got put back into the regular Android wear app and that one didn't get confused. Maybe it's time to dumpthe extra wear battery stats app. It probably costs extra overhead and no longer needed since the a.w. one works fine.

Screenshot_2015-12-31-07-48-04.png

Once every month or two something odd happens that I just can't explain. Today was one of those days.

Went from 100% down to about 80% from 9AM to 5pm. So far so good.

Went from 80% to below 10% from 5pm to 6pm. WTFO.

Attachments

• SuddenDrain.png
    SuddenDrain.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom