• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Older optimus v (early 2011) post rooting problems

poweruserEd

Lurker
So I have rooted my early 2011 Optimus v and I am trying to go through the process of flashing a recovery using ZenGarden but my phone will not download the ZenGarden recovery for Optimus v. My phone keeps coming back with error messages saying busybox is unsupported and will not install when I try to determine which screen I have and the terminology link under "Optimus v all things root" seems to be dead :confused:. I am lost, please help :egg:!

Use this guide http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/697813-how-install-flash_image-flash-recovery-rom-theme.html

Go to settings >about phone >android version : if it says 2.2.1 you should have the novateck screen, right under android version, baseband version, should be zv4

Right now zengarden recovery and the MiRaGe Rom are the best for our phone.

Read the guide a few times, if you follow the guide to the letter, you shouldn't have any problems. Don't be afraid to ask questions!

Post back, let us know how it's going.

I sent AndyOpie150 a pm about the broken link, root terminology in the guide, thanks for the heads up.

Ok my Optimus v is a 2.2.1, it should have a novatek screen. The baseband version is zv4. When I follow the link in the recovery guide above to the ZenGarden recovery I get to this point in the ZenGarden recovery:

If you are stuck in recovery do to a Recovery Boot-Loop or a bad flash, use this flash zip to get out of those problems; just flash in recovery as you would any zip file and reboot the recovery.
ZenGarden-Touch-Recovery.zip md5sum 97876c796e2f1998d839b5cd1dab437e Recovery Downloads

VM670-ZenGarden-Touch

The second link (VM670-ZenGarden-Touch) will not download the .zip file that I think it is supposed to connect to, it keeps failing. Am I doing something wrong? Is it a problem with my phone? Should I be doing it from a computer?

The first link successfully gives me the file to get out of the boot loop

I also wanted to inform you that when I click this link in the Optimus v all things root guide now it is dead:
How to install a flash_image; flash a recovery, ROM, or theme.
I have it bookmarked and the bookmark still works. I also have a printed copy. I want to thank you for your help and thank Andyopie 150 for his work. I had intended to do so formally once I cleared my current hurdles with the basic neseccities of my newly rooted phone.

This is actually more like what I am having trouble with in ZenGarden looks like, I am assuming that the VM (Virgin Mobile) link is the one for me.

ZenGarden-Touch-Recovery.zip
md5sum
97876c796e2f1998d839b5cd1dab437e

Recovery Downloads

VM670-ZenGarden-Touch

LS670-ZenGarden-Touch

VM670-ZenGarden-Touch
link starts a download and then stops and returns an error message saying "cannot download, content not supported on this phone"

I let Andy know about the broken link, thanks for the heads up.

The vm670 link is the one you want, either the first or second link. I just downloaded them both with no problems and i used 3g.

It is better to download from a pc or use wifi, less chance of corruption but i used my phone, i don't have a pc. Just make sure you always check Md5 sums. You should use android file verifier by scary alien.

I got android file verifier by scary alien and checked Md5 sums. It came back with a hex# response and logged it. It doesn't mean much to me. What am I supposed to understand from it?

I got android file verifier by scary alien and checked Md5 sums. It came back with a hex# response and logged it. It doesn't mean much to me. What am I supposed to understand from it?

The Md5 sums must match, when you download a file the dev posts a Md5 sum with it, when you download that file then open afv long press on the file you want to check afv will give you a Md5 sum, it must match the original ,if it doesn't you could have a corrupt download.

I have repeatedly downloaded the file with the checksum and I keep getting the same checksum that does not match the one given. The first file is the only one I can get to download via 3G but I will try again tomorrow using the schools computers and USB.

Sorry, my bad ...i forgot to tell you about that, read page 2 in the zengarden tut. A few of us couldn't get Md5 sum to match either.

I just took the chance and used it, that's up to you, the faster it downloads, like with wifi, the less chance of corruption.

I have downloaded and "pushed" both files to my phone using the school computer and USB but the checksums still do not match. I am assuming that it is supposed to match the VM670-ZenGarden-Touch.img file rather than the ZenGarden-Touch-Recovery.zip file. Should I use ES File Explorer to unzip/extract the zip file before I attempt the recovery? Thanks again.

I have downloaded and "pushed" both files to my phone using the school computer and USB but the checksums still do not match. I am assuming that it is supposed to match the VM670-ZenGarden-Touch.img file rather than the ZenGarden-Touch-Recovery.zip file. Should I use ES File Explorer to unzip/extract the zip file before I attempt the recovery? Thanks again.

Yes, make sure you have superuser permissions,rename the file to what ever you like, it just makes it easier to use, i renamed to zrecovery.img just make sure you type it in the same way that you have it renamed.

Since you are rooted make sure you never do a factory reset from the privacy menu, it's okay to do it in recovery.

Make sure you always do a backup before you flash.

Go back and read this guide again http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/697813-how-install-flash_image-flash-recovery-rom-theme.html

Back
Top Bottom