• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

On screen navigation button not switching between apps

Hello, my phone just began exhibiting a strange behavior:

Along the bottom of my screen, I always have visible the back button, the home button, and the one that switches between running apps. I don't know what that button is called, but on my phone it's on the bottom left of the screen, and it looks like three vertical lines.

It has just stopped working. How do I troubleshoot this?

I assume there's an app associated with on-screen navigation, and maybe I could force quit that app and then delete its cache, but I don't know what that app is called, or even if that is how you fix this.

My phone is an S23 FE running Android 14.

Thank you, as always, for your help!

Never mind, I asked Chat GPT and its second suggestion did the trick! For the benefit of anybody else who has this same question, here's the fix that worked for me:

3. Clear Cache Partition

Clearing the cache partition can help resolve issues caused by corrupted cache files.

1. Turn off your phone.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up button and the Power button simultaneously.
  3. When the Samsung logo appears, release both buttons.
  4. Use the Volume buttons to navigate to Wipe cache partition and use the Power button to select it.
  5. Confirm by selecting Yes and wait for the process to complete.
  6. Select Reboot system now.

Reactions: ocnbrze

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones