• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

On the Fence: Why Root My Eris?

So, my worry with rooting is that I'm going to mess something up??? Or mess up the phone AFTER I root it.... any thoughts on that?

You won't mess it up. With the newer rooting methods available, it is virtually foolproof. As far as after root, as long as you have nand backups, you can always revert the phone to a previous known state.

Upvote 0
Do a check for me... open up your app drawer and look for Superuser Permissions. If you don't see it, then you need to flash the rootme.zip that was provided with the root app you installed.
i decided to just re-download everything. i flashed xtrROM and i
spent the last hour installing it and all my apps from before. some
things i noticed though, the Gmail app is gone, is there a way i
can get it back?
edit: after flashing/installing xtrROM, it placed ZIP files on
the root of my SDcard, one of them which is a stockapps.zip
file that has the Gmail app among others too.

Upvote 0
i flashed 3.0.3. i never beta anything.

i saw something similar to what you're talking about. to flash the apps
after installing xtrROM. is it basically the same idea? place a zip file
on the root of the sd card?

With xtr 3.0.3, you will have a bunch of zip files on your sdcard already. One of them should be called stockapps.zip (or something close). Flash that exactly the same way you flashed the main xtr rom. It will give you gmail.

Upvote 0
now i'm not sure, these are the folders on my SDcard:
nandroid/HT9B2HG01441/BDS-20100809-1440, and
..................................../BDS-20100810-0151.
but i remember seeing something that started with an "H" when i
went into the nand restore menu, but i didn't want to click it because
i wasn't interested in restoring. i'm assuming it was showing the folder
then it would show the 2 backups i've made so far?

edit: i went back into nand restore, and it does show the HT9B... folder
then i'm brought with the choices of the 2 backups. sweet.

Upvote 0
now i'm not sure, these are the folders on my SDcard:
nandroid/HT9B2HG01441/BDS-20100809-1440, and
..................................../BDS-20100810-0151.
but i remember seeing something that started with an "H" when i
went into the nand restore menu, but i didn't want to click it because
i wasn't interested in restoring. i'm assuming it was showing the folder
then it would show the 2 backups i've made so far?

edit: i went back into nand restore, and it does show the HT9B... folder
then i'm brought with the choices of the 2 backups. sweet.

In case you didn't already figure this out: you can rename your nands.

Example: BDS-xtrROM-August-10. It works to help you keep track of your back ups. Just be sure not to have spaces in the new name.

Upvote 0
So I rooted my phone last night after reading through this. I went with the latest version of KaosFroyo.

But now my home keys and trackball are not lighting up. Does anybody know if this is an issue with the latest version? or if there's a fix for it?

Also, now that I've rooted, what are some things I should check out and/or do to get the best of this ROM?

Upvote 0
So I rooted my phone last night after reading through this. I went with the latest version of KaosFroyo.

But now my home keys and trackball are not lighting up. Does anybody know if this is an issue with the latest version? or if there's a fix for it?

Also, now that I've rooted, what are some things I should check out and/or do to get the best of this ROM?

Welcome to root!

1. Kaos just released v26. Do you have that one? It sounds like some soft light issues were addressed.

2. You might also try some other ROMs for the fun of it. I like xtrROM 3.03 the best so far.

3. If you haven't already, get SetCPU (for overclocking). Your Eris will be extra snappy. Of course read through this entire forum - it rocks and so do the people on it!

Upvote 0
This shouldn't really be a question. Eclipse and the AndIRC team have came up with a 1-click-root for the Eris. Even before that, there was the Eris Master Application to help you through all the different steps.

Once rooted, you don't HAVE to go get experimental and try out all the different roms. You can use just a stock/plain rom, like Ivan's, or Senseable, which is generally a good starting point.

Having root is like...awakening your phones hidden potential. It just allows you to make the phone really how you want it to be. Honestly, I just played with my friends two Eris that aren't rooted and got frustrated.

Pros?

1.) Mobile Hot Spot/Wired Tether -> I've been using this all week, and will continue to use this as much as possible until they take away my unlimited plan. I think one of the best feelings I've ever had was sitting on the train home, on my laptop and iPod Touch (at the same time) using my 3g-hot spot from my phone.

2.) ROMs. Variations of user interfaces and designs. Custom Boot Animations, which are awesome.

3.) Most roms get rid of stock apps you don't want, like Visual VM, Amazon, ect.

4.) Most importantly...the Eris is most likely not going to get FroYo. So, if you want any chance of continued support, the AndIRC Devs are your friends.

5.) chat.andIRC.net is always there if you run into problems or questions. All are really nice guys.

6.) Overclocking. 'nuff said.

Upvote 0
Nandroid is also amazing. It makes like a carbon clone of your setup. So like, if i want to try another rom, i can save this version in nandroid, try the other one out, and then re-flash the nandroid backup and go back to my exact set up/settings. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

Head over to chat.andirc.com if you have ROM questions...the devs (Like Kaos) hang out there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones