• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Only powers on when power button, pwr btn & vol up, or pwr btn & vol dwn is held.

Steevo48

Lurker
Mar 29, 2017
I got my 9yr. Old boy his first phone and hes proud he is a big enough boy to have one lol so fixing it is kinda important to him. Besides, I've never heard anything like what I'm about to try to explain, so I'm interested in the solution, if there is one. I'm not sure exactly what android version is on it but it was made 11/2015 and in (where else?) China. Ok, this LGMS345 will only power on if I have the buttons mentioned (sometimes just power sometimes pwr & vol up or vol down) above constantly pressed but not to reset or diagnostic screen..only to desktop. It goes through the normal boot mode but If I let go at ant time it turns off IMMEDIATELY. Battery is 100% not dropped stepped on or anything of that nature. I checked if it got wet, so on so forth. I've done a google, bing, duck duck go..ect..ect.....I have found nothing about the specific subject. The only thing close is "phone wont stay powered on", but not anything about having to keep buttons pressed. I even tried what they all said but nothing worked. I'm not about to spend $$ bringing it in to a fix it shop. Anyone know anything at all or have experienced anything like this happening? Even on a different make or model phone.. even a tablet? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also if I left any info. out that might help in solving this just let me know.

That sounds very strange.

But it also sounds a lot more like a hardware fault than a software one, in which case repair or replace will be your only options. An odd hardware fault, to say the least, but instant power off when you release a button doesn't sound like software, nor does the same behaviour whether you have just powered on or when fully booted into Android. Even if it were some bizarre failure of the low-level firmware I doubt you could reflash it in that state (if you can't get it into fastboot/download mode and if it powers off if you release a button then I don't see that being possible even if you can find the firmware and tools for that model).

The funny thing is that many phones will force a shutdown or restart if you keep the power button pressed for long enough (all that have non-removable batteries do this in my experience). Clearly either this one does not have that feature, or else some problem with the contacts around the power button means it's not registering as you doing that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones