• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Optimus c vs iPhone 3GS

Hi...

Nope I am not a troll but a guy who has had an iPhone for nearly four years.

I don't want to pay the bill on that anymore and want a flat rate service.

The phones seem good enough now... I've been looking between:

Ascend
Zio
Optimus C

The optimus c has better specs but I wonder if anyone can compare between the iPhone 3GS and it?

I love the zio screen but it has less ram and what... No gpu right? At least the LG has better graphics.

Will the LG seem as "snappy" as my iPhone now??

The optimus has no root right? So since I jailbreak my iphone how much control will I miss over not having a jailbreak and no root access?

I would also like to use the cricket as a wifi hotspot. Any chance of that happening with amregular marketplace app or do I need root for that?

How good is LG at supplying updates to android? This phone is apparently getting 2.3 but when? A year? More?

Thanks everyone and inappreciate any replies.

Welcome to the forums!

I own an Optimus V (same phone different pre paid company) and very happy with it. "Snappy" is in the eye of the beholder. I've not had a 3GS but do have-or had-an iPod 4G and only notice a slight lag if I've been using the phone heavily. Stopping some apps from running will clear that up, though. I'm very happy with the responsiveness so far.

There are jailbreaks for the Optimus, I'm not sure if there's one out yet for the Cricket version yet-Keep checking the forums here and it'll pop up. As for what you may miss-it depends on what you want to do. A lot of the customiation options you have to jailbreak an iDevice for you can do without rooting. I haven't felt the need to root mine.

As for tethering-be aware that 1. it's against the TOS for Cricket, though there are widgets you can download that will allow you to do so. Cricket also imposes a 1 Gig cap on download speeds per month before throttling the speed.

As for when will the Optimus get an update, it depends on LG yes, but then it's also up to Cricket as to when they decide to release it. If you root your phone then it's kind of a non issue as you can then update it that way.

Ouch 1 gig cap? Thought it was 2... Bummer

Yeah, I had considered switching to Cricket from Virgin, but saw the cap and decided to stay with Virgin-esp. now that they seem to have their 3G issues settled and have had no drops in about 2 weeks. A lot cheaper too and no cap.

It's really hard to hit the 1gb cap if you use Wi-Fi. I use like 200 mb a month since I got home internet, and I hardly use my phone when I'm out of the house (work). But, the Optimus is freakin awesome!

It's really hard to hit the 1gb cap if you use Wi-Fi. I use like 200 mb a month since I got home internet, and I hardly use my phone when I'm out of the house (work). But, the Optimus is freakin awesome!

If you use the 3G just on the phone, sure. Even I barely hit 1 Gig a month on my phone and I'm a pretty heavy user. But if you want to tether it like he was talking about, you can hit the cap pretty quick.

Well I worry because i do podcasts streaming and a lot of web pages.
Hoestly metro has no 3G and virgins devices suck.

After 1 gig how bad does their service get?

Well I worry because i do podcasts streaming and a lot of web pages.
Hoestly metro has no 3G and virgins devices suck.

After 1 gig how bad does their service get?

virgin has the same Optimus that cricket does, the only difference is the bloatware that comes preinstalled. As for how bad it gets throttled. I use the mobile broadband from cricket and when I reached their 5 gig cap it was unusable. I would assume the performance with the phone would be just as bad.

I har no Ida they had the same phone... And it appears the optimus v has been rooted too!

Thanks. Now anyone have any idea of their data cap?

I har no Ida they had the same phone... And it appears the optimus v has been rooted too!

Thanks. Now anyone have any idea of their data cap?

There is no data cap, though it's been reported in the Optimus V forum that it gets throttled after 10 Gigs. I've been very satisfied with the connection speeds since they finished (or rather Sprint) their towers.

Yep same phone, rooted, custom roms :) Lots of mods already made for it. The Optimus C I'm sure will get there though. I have an Optimus V with Cyanogenmod 7 and because of that I have Android 2.3.3 on it and I love it :) I just hate VM customer service, and data reliability just depends on each individual it seems.

Yep same phone, rooted, custom roms :) Lots of mods already made for it. The Optimus C I'm sure will get there though. I have an Optimus V with Cyanogenmod 7 and because of that I have Android 2.3.3 on it and I love it :) I just hate VM customer service, and data reliability just depends on each individual it seems.

Agreed. Cricket's coverage can also be spotty as well. I can have great reception at home, but travel 20 minutes to my Mother's house in Sun City and it disappears. I've yet to have that problem with Virgin. Since the problems with Virgin's 3G seem to have been fixed I've had no problems for almost a month now.

Are those gingerbread builds stable? The thread at xda is 51 pages long but it looks like at first they were buggy.

Do new versions of android speed it up much? New versions of iOS seem to slow older iPhones down.

Also is rooting undoable? if you ever had to restore, can you? I've read that rooted phones cannot sometimes get an official carrier update without becoming bricked.

Other than that it looks like it can be overclocked to 800mhz but wonder if it is stable.

Seems people really love their optimus v!

I haven't rooted my phone so can't speak for the stability of the gingerbread builds, but the one thing I hear consistently still is it fubar's your mms ability. no problem if you don't send/receive a lot of pics, but if you have a new grand nephew as i do-there are many pics lol.

Just like jailbreaking, rooting is undoable but haven't heard anything about not being able to get an official update.

I also haven't heard anyone express any problems with the performance/stability of over clocking their phones, other than it runs warmer. From what I've seen on friends' Androids, updates DO seem to speed up the phone and not slow them down. I made the mistake of updating my 2G ipod Touch to 4.0 and it slowed to a crawl. That doesn't seem to be the case with Android.

It seems to me, that anything in the updates is based more on processor power and your phone's ability/innability to utilize it. Example: Froyo allows you to install flash, but it will only work with a 1Ghz processor, so it won't work on an Optimus-yet it's still a speedy little phone. (Skyfire browser allows you to play them so its not a big issue for me.)

And yes, people do love their Optimus. I certainly love mine and as an introduction to Android phones it's at the top of the list for me.

Are those gingerbread builds stable? The thread at xda is 51 pages long but it looks like at first they were buggy.

Do new versions of android speed it up much? New versions of iOS seem to slow older iPhones down.

Also is rooting undoable? if you ever had to restore, can you? I've read that rooted phones cannot sometimes get an official carrier update without becoming bricked.

Other than that it looks like it can be overclocked to 800mhz but wonder if it is stable.

Seems people really love their optimus v!

Out of my experience, Gigerbread works GREAT however ScottColbert is right, I cannot get MMS, I also have a strange problem where every once in a while my proximity sensor doesn't work right, I enabled "always use proximity sensor" which is supposed to fix it but every once in a while I can't turn my screen back on until the call is hung-up, sadly I don't know if it'll do that until I'm on a call lol

But anyways, I never really use MMS and if I need it I can use email. As far as stability goes I have mine overclocked to 769MHz, I've tried up to 864 which it can go but is very unstable at that point, 825 is reasonable and 806 is very stable however every once in a great while will randomly reboot. The only setting that I've never had a random reboot was at 769, aside from that though there's a custom Xionia_008 kernel as well as JIT which makes it run way faster, as well as whatever optimizations Gingerbread has.

I actually had a 2.2 rom before overclocked to 789, but it didn't have JIT and an older Xionia kernel, the Cyanogenmod 7 build is way faster, but even the other rom I had was still a lot faster than stock. My CM7 build overclocked lower than before scores maybe two or three hundred points higher in Quadrant from my older overclocked rom :) and three times the MFLOPS from Linpack. Sadly, I never benchmarked the stock rom so even though I know how much it improved to my other overclocked rom I can't say how much it increased since the stock rom.

Hi...

Nope I am not a troll but a guy who has had an iPhone for nearly four years.

I don't want to pay the bill on that anymore and want a flat rate service.

The phones seem good enough now... I've been looking between:

Ascend
Zio
Optimus C

The optimus c has better specs but I wonder if anyone can compare between the iPhone 3GS and it?

I love the zio screen but it has less ram and what... No gpu right? At least the LG has better graphics.

Will the LG seem as "snappy" as my iPhone now??

The optimus has no root right? So since I jailbreak my iphone how much control will I miss over not having a jailbreak and no root access?

I would also like to use the cricket as a wifi hotspot. Any chance of that happening with amregular marketplace app or do I need root for that?

How good is LG at supplying updates to android? This phone is apparently getting 2.3 but when? A year? More?

Thanks everyone and inappreciate any replies.

U can root the phone with an app called GingerBreak-v1.10.apk at XDA

Back
Top Bottom