• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ORGANIZING PHOTOS/FILES

oaklane

Android Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2010
New Hampshire
I have a Nexus 2013, and have a bunch of pictures from screen shots on there. After editing them, I want to have a separate folder in the photos gallery to see them in. My tablet doesn't have a sd card so I plugged it into my pc and added a folder called wedding under the pictures folder but when I go to the tablet there is not folder listed in the pictures gallery.

I know there must be a way, an app or something!

They gallery doesn't show empty folders. In fact, it doesn't show nested folders either. When it does a media scan, it basically looks for any folders that contain one or more pictures, and that list is what appears in the gallery. (So, say you have a root-level folder called "MyPictures" which contains some image files. In addition, it contains a another folder called "Vacation", which in turn also contains some image files. When you go to the gallery, you'll see both "MyPictures" and "Vacation" at the top level, and if you open "MyPictures", you will see all of the images in that folder, but you will not see any reference to "Vacation" inside of it, despite the nested folder structure.

In any case, the quick answer is to put at least one picture in your "wedding" folder from the computer. Then the next time the media scanner runs, it should show that folder in the gallery.
The other potential solution is to use a file explorer app (Solid Explorer is my favorite, but there are plenty to choose from), to manually move your image files where you want them.

Note: The above behaviors are assuming you are using Android 5.0.x's built in "Photos" app, since you're using a 2013 Nexus 7. For anyone using another device that might have a custom image viewer instead of the stock one, or anyone using a 3rd party image viewer, mileage may vary.

Upvote 0
They gallery doesn't show empty folders. In fact, it doesn't show nested folders either. When it does a media scan, it basically looks for any folders that contain one or more pictures, and that list is what appears in the gallery. (So, say you have a root-level folder called "MyPictures" which contains some image files. In addition, it contains a another folder called "Vacation", which in turn also contains some image files. When you go to the gallery, you'll see both "MyPictures" and "Vacation" at the top level, and if you open "MyPictures", you will see all of the images in that folder, but you will not see any reference to "Vacation" inside of it, despite the nested folder structure.

In any case, the quick answer is to put at least one picture in your "wedding" folder from the computer. Then the next time the media scanner runs, it should show that folder in the gallery.
The other potential solution is to use a file explorer app (Solid Explorer is my favorite, but there are plenty to choose from), to manually move your image files where you want them.

Note: The above behaviors are assuming you are using Android 5.0.x's built in "Photos" app, since you're using a 2013 Nexus 7. For anyone using another device that might have a custom image viewer instead of the stock one, or anyone using a 3rd party image viewer, mileage may vary.

Thank you, I am using the stock app, I do have at least one picture in the "wedding" folder. I've restarted my tablet and it still doesn't show that folder, it shows, downloads, screenprints but not the one I created. I'm also running the most recent update to the os. When I was using my samsung galaxy tablet I could move pictures into a folder and it would show up. This is buggin me that I can't do this or make it do it.

Upvote 0
Thank you, I am using the stock app, I do have at least one picture in the "wedding" folder. I've restarted my tablet and it still doesn't show that folder, it shows, downloads, screenprints but not the one I created. I'm also running the most recent update to the os. When I was using my samsung galaxy tablet I could move pictures into a folder and it would show up. This is buggin me that I can't do this or make it do it.
Im assuming when you mentioned that it scans for new media, restarting it would cause it to rescan for new media?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones