• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help OTG problems reading multiple cards

My apologies for not replying sooner. My daughter had her first baby and there were issues so life has been a bit crazy. All is well with baby and momma now :)

Thanks for your extensive testing and reply L59! I'm always reluctant to factory reset, but im sure you're right. I'll get it done in the next day or so, test and report back.

We have tried other OTGS, S I'm pretty certain that's not the issue.
Thanks again!
Well @calail, I don't think you're going to like my results. I tried a bunch of different scenarios with three different phones....

...The other thing I might suggest it to replace your OTG adapter. Since you say you use these quite a lot, it's possible that the connector or wiring is either shorting or broken to the point of making intermittent connections.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Congratulations on your promotion to "Grandma" ;) Glad everything is okay with mother and child. I've got a 2-1/2 year-old grandson with another one on the way (due in march :D). It's a great time.

Before you factory reset, make sure you've backed up everything you want to save, especially email and text messages as these often get overlooked before the phone is reset and they are deleted.

Reactions: Member2035261
Upvote 0
Congratulations on your promotion to "Grandma" ;) Glad everything is okay with mother and child. I've got a 2-1/2 year-old grandson with another one on the way (due in march :D). It's a great time.
Thank you; life is definitely good! I knew having grandchildren would be good, just never dreamed how much better it could be!

Before you factory reset, make sure you've backed up everything you want to save, especially email and text messages as these often get overlooked before the phone is reset and they are deleted.
I know it's been a while, but we finally got the time to reset the phone. We cleaned the phone and reset everything back to factory default.

Unfortunately, we get the same results.

The phone will read several cards, then quit. Doesn't seem to matter which card, which card reader, how we remove the previous card, etc. It's pretty darn aggravating!

Upvote 0
So you've definitely gone through countless attempts to make this scenario work on your S7, hat tip to you and your unwillingness to quit. At this point maybe it's time to focus on another, less trying solution? Initially you mentioned this OTG - multiple microSD card set up was working fine with several older Galaxy phones. Do you still have any of them? Set one up to be used solely to transfer photos when you're out in the field, and even when you're not in an area with any kind of online connectivity you can still transfer files between your Galaxy phones using Samsung's NFC based file transfer utility. If you don't have one of your old phones, take a look at swappa, you can pick up something like an old, relatively cheap S5 (... and you don't need any kind of carrier plan as you'll just be using WiFi connectivity for this phone):
https://swappa.com/buy/devices/samsung

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
So you've definitely gone through countless attempts to make this scenario work on your S7, hat tip to you and your unwillingness to quit. At this point maybe it's time to focus on another, less trying solution? Initially you mentioned this OTG - multiple microSD card set up was working fine with several older Galaxy phones. Do you still have any of them? Set one up to be used solely to transfer photos when you're out in the field, and even when you're not in an area with any kind of online connectivity you can still transfer files between your Galaxy phones using Samsung's NFC based file transfer utility. If you don't have one of your old phones, take a look at swappa, you can pick up something like an old, relatively cheap S5 (... and you don't need any kind of carrier plan as you'll just be using WiFi connectivity for this phone):
https://swappa.com/buy/devices/samsung
I really appreciate your reply, but this is really not a viable solution for me. I don't need to transfer photos/files between phones. I just need to see what's on the SD card before I leave the location. Carrying around multiple devices when the one I have SHOULD work, and DOES work for others, isn't really a great alternative.

If the phone has a bug, then it should be covered under warranty, but I really doubt Samsung, or my carrier, is going to understand this issue enough to replace the unit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones