• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Other Networks

oChi

Lurker
Hello,
I'm confused; all threads I've read mention "unlocking" only when dicussing rooting. Does a phone need to be rooted in order to "unlock" mobile network options, e.g., if taking hardware over to a different carrier than the one through which the phone was purchased?

Please advice as I cannot seem to find this info out for myself. Thanks!

Given the network can unlock an unrooted phone, the simple answer is No.

A more complicated answer may be that in order to unlock a phone illegally (I believe it is now illegal in the US), you either need to root it or it's easier if it's rooted.

So...no one seems to be able to answer this question; are there other sites I should be looking into for this info?

Re Legality of unlocking: in the U.S. it's now illegal to "unlock" any phone purchased on/after Jan. 26th(?), 2013, the official date the Librarian of Congress removed cell phone unlocking from its list of DMCA exemptions.

The Rezound has been successfully used on several other networks, with either the Global Mode leaked RUU or a custom ROM it has been used on T-Mobile, AT&T, Page Plus, Straight Talk, and most other US carriers (except Sprint to my knowledge). It does require some work on your end, and a "donor" cheapo phone in some cases, but I would suggest checking out the Rezound forums on XDA for more information on this topic.

Back
Top Bottom