• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Outrage, Slap in the face. Engadget says GPS bug is fixed by turning on "use wireless networks"

I was harping about engadgets article, and I and others were right, because of our emails, they immediately posted something clarifying their statements. If my posts bother you so much, stop reading them all together. You don't have to read or enter any thread that i've created.

Your posts dont bother me and in fact you have posted some very helpful things and i appreciate it,..... i really do but you keep beating some things into the ground.
I got absolutely nothing against you or anybody else. We are all here sharing things that can help us with these devices and we know we have a GPS problem. Whether or not some stupid blogger doing a review knows what he is talking about doesnt change the fact that we have a GPS problem and the fix is coming in Sept.

Too bad the Android Dev department isnt as active as iPhones with getting out info. But then, i dont think Android has as a dedicated dev team as they do. Not to slight anyone at all. All the posts for lag fixes and rooting and such is great and is good stuff but Saurik and Musclenerd & Co. are always right on top of shit when Apple tries to put the screws to us like Samsung has here with the GPS.

SV, you keep doing what your doing. Its all good. We cant help it though if a blogger does half ass work. But they are all over the place on the internets. And as mentioned, Engadget has Apple fanboys who for some reason, cant stand it that another system such as Android is a threat to them having the best phone. I have a feeling within the next year, Androids OS will be a lot better.

Upvote 0
What's concerning is that Samsung's "press release" doesn't actually acknowledge a problem or guarantee a FIX. Note their choice of words. *I do CS work, so I'm all too familiar with these tactics.*

Best case scenario: The GPS issue is fixed, and everyone is happy.
Worst case scenario: A fix isn't possible and a recall is deemed too costly by upper management. Vibrant owners are left without a functioning GPS. Note that Samsung's behind is covered, because they haven't acknowledged that the GPS is actually faulty.

Only time will tell. Unfortunately, Vibrant owners who are approaching their return periods do not have this luxury.

Upvote 0
I have tried both the "wireless location fix" [ok im not stupid this did nothing except shut up some of the apps looking for location info]

and i also installed the xda sites gps fix.... totally bogus "it works" must mean the phone eats the commands and doesn't explode!

neither of these 2 so called "fixes" do crapola or fix the fact my phone thinks it is 2 miles away from where im at!

as for other complaints where/who do we contact?

cuz on this forum and others there is a slew of things that need attention!

:eek:

Upvote 0
And before some people chime in that their GPS works "ok".
Download GPS Test by Chartcross in the Android Market.
Every Android phone out there gets at least 10 Satellites "In View", 10 Satellites "In Use" and 6 foot "Accuracy".

While Samsung phones get 10 In View, 0 In Use, and 150 foot Accuracy.

I have 2 Captivates and with "Use wireless networks" OFF, only using GPS satellites, I get 10 In View/8 In Use and 16.4 feet accuracy. When I enable "Use wireless networks" I do not get any improvement. Now I agree that the Samsung Galaxy phones have a problem with their GPS, but you are exaggerating quite a bit. And I do believe that it will be fixed.

Upvote 0
The fact that you're comparing the Moment to the Galaxy S completely takes away all credibility. You're probably the same type of person that compares it to the Behold II.

Return the phone and move on. That way you get to be happy and we don't need to listen to your blithering anymore.

To be fair, he did mention the europe galaxy s phones earlier which have been out for months and still do not have a GPS remedy. I can't wait for September when this is all over. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones