• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root OV - Rooted but then nothing

I have spent the last three days trying to backup my ROM before flashing an Gingerbread compatible ROM. I tried ROM Manager but it would not complete without ClockworkMod. ClockworkMod would not load because the Optimus V was not in the list of phones. I tried to load it independently by copying it to the SDcard and using the recovery boot but it wouldn't find the files on the SDcard. It was like the Sd card is not visible at boot. I'm running Froyo 2.2.1 and want to move up to Gingerbread so I can use the ScreenShare browser app. It starts at 2.3 Gingerbread. This allows your tablet to mimic your phone screen through BlueTooth. I like my phone but nothing is going through on the tech side. I even tried the cloud backup to try to get a nandroid Rom backup but it won't run on this version of software.
Rooting turned out to be the easy part. Has anyone else tried this and made any headway.
1. backup the current Rom
2. Flash the Cyangen 7 to upgrade to Gingerbread.

Thanks for any suggestions at all,,, other than buying a new phone :)

Well Junior Member, I used GingerBreak after reading multiple articles about rooting and moding the OS. "Playing around" does sound a bit condescending..I have over 30 years experience in computer development... Working with phones is like stepping back to DOS, there was very little standardization. I do appreciate any suggestions. My current goal is to get a Nandroid backup completed before I go any farther...

Welcome to the forums CritterLes, you never made it clear if your rooted or not, sometimes gingerbreak could take 5 to 10 tries before it will work.

For now don't use rom manager until you read the sticky ^at the top of the page.

Right now the best recovery for our phone is the zengarden, and the best rom is MiRaGe both found here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/453389-optimus-v-all-things-root-guide-updated-03-11-13-a.html then use this guide http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/697813-how-install-flash_image-flash-recovery-rom-theme.html Take your time and read the guide thoroughly, if you follow the guide to a T you should be all set with a shiny new rom. Don't be afraid to ask questions

I can't believe I left out that the phone was rooted using Gingerbreak already. My understanding is the next step is to do a Nandroid backup in case anything goes wrong so I can get back to where I was at. The backup is now the challenge. If I boot in Recovery mode, the current OS does not have an backup option. I do have a Xiona Recovery file but it's a zip file. I have the instructions to use Terminal Emulator but I can't unzip the file. It crashes..
Do I just use the zip file or do I have to unzip before using the command:
"flash_image_recovery_/sdcard/recovery.img(return)"
I do have to admit this is frustrating, Give me a computer and there isn't anything I can't do but the phones are a new challenge..
Thanks

Not sure how far you are but if this helps...Its been some time but when I did mine, I downloaded the recovery to my SD card and used FlashImage GUI or something like that. I believe its the alternative install option in the link a few posts up. Once that new recovery is done, you can boot into that recovery giving the backup options your looking for.

Thanks for the help. I do have one concern. If I wait until after flashing to do the backup, if something goes wrong, how do you get back to your original ROM?
It's like a Catch 22.

Honestly I don't know. I just went for it.
Maybe ask in the guide above to get a exact answer. I am sorry I can not provide the answer to your question and I hope you can get it. There are some amazing Roms for that phone.

I appreciate the help Poweredge. Maybe it's being anal but in all my years working with computers doing a backup as a safety has saved me more than a few times...
With all the help, I'll get through this.

One more question for recovery, I have booted into the Recovery mode but when I select Apply SDCARD update it does not find the files. I get:
Failed to open /sdcard/update.zip
No such file or directory
E:Signature verification failed
Installation Aborted

Sorry but one more? If I load a new Rom like zengarden, without a backup, will I loose all the info on my phone?
Sorry to keep hitting this but once I start with a puzzle it's hard to let go.

Sorry i have people over the house right now, can't help but, slow down and read the guide over again.

Zengarden is the recovery you should use!

MiRaGe is the rom you want!

Please read my earlier post or you will brick your phone.

Sorry i don't have time right now, please read and take your time!

Well your rooted that's step one.

Time to get a custom recovery installed, download flash image gui and the zengarden recovery in .img format. Install flash image gui and use it to flash zengarden recovery. You can do this safely because the recovery is a separate system then the rom much like the bios is separate on computers. Soo if your rom is good you can fix your recovery and if your recovery is good you can fix your rom.

Edit: also +1 read the linked guide

KTFO, I missed your link to all the docs, Thank you.
You said
Did you read anything else before playing around with your OV?
Playing around was the key phrase, that just pushed my button.
My main point was I don't play around because I know the wrong move can brick the phone and make turn into so many more work hours fixing it.
After 3 days of hitting one dead end after another, it was getting frustrating.
I was about to think the Optimus V was a Dinosaur but there are many people in here that are still getting good things from it.
Again, thank you for your help, sorry if I can back to strong.

TheWraith, Installed the FlashImageGui..This is the first tool that actually installed completely. You said download - zengarden recovery in .img format
Will this be a zip file and do I have to unzip it before placing it on the SDcard?
Also is Zen Garden equivalent to at least 2.3 OS.
The main reason I am going through all this is to load ScreenShareBrowser, to share the same screen across my Nexus 7 Tablet and my Phone.
I appreciate the help.

TheWraith, Installed the FlashImageGui..This is the first tool that actually installed completely. You said download - zengarden recovery in .img format
Will this be a zip file and do I have to unzip it before placing it on the SDcard?
Also is Zen Garden equivalent to at least 2.3 OS.
The main reason I am going through all this is to load ScreenShareBrowser, to share the same screen across my Nexus 7 Tablet and my Phone.
I appreciate the help.

Zengarden is the recovery and it should be available as a .IMG download In the same place as the zip. We'll get to installimg a rom once you have a recovery installed and backup made.

Found VM670-Zengarden-Touch for a Recovery
The Above say Please choose a VM compatible Recovery
Downloaded another version, Zip and it was approved.
Flashed Recovery and doing Nandroid backup Now.
I'll wait till tomorrow for a suggested ROM to install.
When I install the ROM, I do lose all the data on my phone, Right? That is why I need to do a Titanium backup first?
Thanks everyone

Ok I just reread the above post. So your in zengarden recovery now? Or a different one? Either way your on the right track now. Yes, when you flash from one rom to another you'll have to do a complete wipe which will include your apps. The steps vary slightly depending on what recovery your on but the idea is to wipe everything except sdcard. Flash the rom using the install zip from sdcard option, flash gapps, flash any mod zips and reboot. Mirrage CM7.2 is highly recommended and a good one to get you started

OK Guys, Everythig is Rooted and I have Flash Image GUI installed and I have my Nandroid backup complete and even copied to my computer as a backup.
I went into the ZenGarden Recovery and cleared everything and then went to
Install Package - Install Manually
-Install & Reboot
-Install with Gapps
-Install update.zip
I tried manually but the file I downloaded "VM670_CM7.2-IHO-03122013_MiRaGe.zip does not show. I did put it on the SDCARD. If I unzip the file first I get a Boot Image file and a couple other directories.

I was able to restore my old system so at least I know I can get back.
AndyOpie suggested putting Entrophy, and Gapps on the card also.
Any direction would be appreciated.

Thank you everyone for the help. I was able to upgrade the ROM to Harmonia 2.3.
Everything seems to be working and I can use the utility to screen share now.
Has anyone noticed if the processing speed increases or decreases as you move up in operating systems?
I'm sure I will have more questions as I go along.

Back
Top Bottom