• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Overclocking newbie

lucidstate

Nov 11, 2009
Ok so I'm just starting out with rooting, custom ROMs, and overclocking. I got as far as installing cyanogenmod 6.1RC4, Now I'm trying to overclock. I installed setCPU and adjusted it up to the max it would allow: 800MHz. I've seen in comments people mentioning that they're running @ 1.2 GHz. Do I need a different app to do that? Or is there a setting in setCPU that I need to change. More importantly, should I be going any higher than 800? Does anyone have a link to a decent guide on overclocking a Droid 1?

if you want to go past 800mHz, you will need to install a new kernel. this is actually very easy if you already know how to flash a ROM. the only tricky part is that all droids react differently to different kernels. while some people can run all the way up to 1.25gHz at ultra low voltage with no problem, others will not boot when going above 800 even on standard voltage. if you are happy with the way your phone performs at 800, leave it alone, if you would like to see a little more speed, go with 1gHz. they seem to be stable on 90% of droids. from what i have seen, there are 3 main kernel makers for the D1.

chevyno1:
Index of /froyo/kernels3

slayher:
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/4434-froyo-kernels-by-slayher/

p3droid:
P3Droid Kernels

just remember that each version will cause slightly different battery drain, operating temperature, and performance and that you may have to try a few before you can really decide which one you want to run on a daily basis. as for going past 1gHz, i really haven't noticed a huge performance gain running at 1.2. the change from 800mHz to 1gHz was much more noticeable, but i continue to run a 1.2 kernel simply because my phone can handle it well.

to install, save the .zip to your SD card, reboot into recovery and flash it just like you did with your ROM. MAKE A FULL BACKUP BEFORE YOU START!!! i would also recommend saving several kernels to your SD before you start changing them so that if you get stuck in a bootloop with one you can simply pull the battery, reboot into recovery, and flash the next one. happy modding!

Upvote 0
1.25 ghz is the fastest I have ever seen running stable on the droid. Luckily mine goes to 1.25 without a problem:p. But anyways what you want to do is basically start at 1 ghz. Go here, here and here for some of the most popular kernels. If you get into a boot loop either lower the speed or try a different voltage. Make sure that you have several kernels on your sd card just in case you do get into a boot loop.

Upvote 0
Ok So I just went to those 3 links and I'm just more confused.

1. Will installing one of these custom kernels prevent me from doing a factory reset back to a stock droid? (stock as in: out of the box, no root, no custom rom, no custom kernel)

2. The second link you posted ( P3Droid Kernels ) has different sections for Android 2.1 and 2.2. When I followed the instructions at cyanogenmods wiki site for rooting/flashing it had me install android 2.1. Does that mean I'm running android 2.1 or is cyanogenmod 6.1 effectively a custom android 2.2?

3. Should I start with the higher voltages and go down if I have a problem, or the other way around?

Upvote 0
1. The kernels that you find online are root only.
2. You are on android 2.2 and whatever kernel that you install should only be for android 2.2. Putting a kernel from android 2.1 on a rom with 2.2 will boot loop your droid and vice versa.
3. It doesn't really matter what order you go in. Just make sure you have a mental note of what voltages and speeds your phone likes. Oh and developers too.

Upvote 0
1. The kernels that you find online are root only.
Sorry, I'm not sure what you are implying here. I just want to make sure that if I seriously screw something up I don't brick my phone. If I install one of those kernels, and something goes bad either due to the installation itself or something completely unrelated a few weeks down the road, will I be able to revert my phone back to stock everything?

Or maybe that ship already sailed after I rooted my phone?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Sorry, I'm not sure what you are implying here. I just want to make sure that if I seriously screw something up I don't brick my phone. If I install one of those kernels, and something goes bad either due to the installation itself or something completely unrelated a few weeks down the road, will I be able to revert my phone back to stock everything?

Or maybe that ship already sailed after I rooted my phone?

Thanks!

if you haven't already done so, go to the market and grab ROM manager. it will make your life a lot easier when switching ROMs and kernels. once you have installed it, flash ClockworkMod Recovery, and then backup your current ROM. this will allow you to go back to your current state at any point should something go wrong. if you want to go back to completely unrooted, you will need to install a stock 2.1 ROM. you will then be prompted to update to 2.2 OTA by your carrier which will remove your root. as for bootloops (AKA bricking), that is why i mentioned saving several kernels onto your SD card before you start changing anything. that way, if any of them don't work for you, you can pull the battery, reboot into recovery (hold physical keyboard "x" and power until the recovery screen comes up), and load a different kernel. it is nearly impossible to permanently damage your droid simply by switching kernels. as long as you have backed up your current ROM you will always be able to revert back to it.

Upvote 0
DO NOT WIPE when installing a kernel... it's not a full ROM and you'll defeat the purpose. As stated, MAKE A BACKUP before flashing a kernel, and have several onboard the SD card so if you get caught in a bootloop you can just flash the next one from recovery. If all fails you can restore your backup.
Just throwing my little 0.02 in... :)

Upvote 0
And no, It will not permanently stain the stockability of your Droid. I wondered that myself. Like said above, download ROM manager and run ClockworkMod. Try booting into recovery after it loads and make sure the menu shows it has nandroid on it, that will be how you can recover old backups. Then go back and backup your newly rooted droid using ROM Manager. No matter what happens down the road, you can always go back to how your phone exists today- given you take your time and pay attention to what you're doing. You'll see it's pretty basic. When I was starting, I burnt my phone overclocking, so you may want to have a look at the profiles button on setcpu after you install a kernel.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone. I guess I lucked out with the first kernel I tried. I'm running at 1GHz and it's unreal. I was pulling my hair out with stock speed. Now everything is snappy as hell.

I had originally used Clockworkmod to get and install cyanogen. Following your suggestions I thought it would be a good idea to get a stock ROM in case I ever needed to go back. So I went into "ROM Manager -> Download ROM -> Stock Images -> Verizon Droid 2.2 FRG01B". When it was done downloading it tried to install it but I cancelled the install since I don't actually want to do that. I just want to have it as a backup. But It kept showing in the notification bar as if to say "Hey you forgot to install this". I couldn't get rid of the notification so I just restarted the phone and it was gone. I found the FRG01B.zip file somewhere on my sdcard and put it in the sdcard root for safe keeping. That's what I want right?

When I was starting, I burnt my phone overclocking, so you may want to have a look at the profiles button on setcpu after you install a kernel.
Should I be worried about that? Is it as simple as just making sure the phone isn't getting hot, and if so shutting it off for a bit and change the speed?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones