• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Overclocking question.

cougar214

Android Expert
Feb 9, 2011
I have overclocked my droid using droid overclock and quickclock. I took the settings quickclock gave me and put them into droid overclock.

Now here's the thing. Quickclock is supposed to give you, based on your phone, the max frequency with the lowest possible voltage right? These are the settings QC gives me,

375mhz@20vsel
751mhz@38vsel
1001mhz@51vsel
1251mhx@66vsel

Now my question is, how is this undervolting if the voltage is higher than stock? I know, i'm a late bloomer with some things on this phone. And I have a feeling I know what the answer is gonna be. While it is undervolting, QC is giving me those vsel numbers based on a higher clock speed right?

So in essence, with the cpu overclocked, the voltage is going to be higher than stock to accommodate the higher frequency. Now, is there a way to overclock and keep the voltage near stock?

P:S I could be WAY off base here.

Okay, just to make sure we're all on the same page, going to cover some basics (sorry if you already know them):

Overclocking: raising the frequency/processor speed ANY amount higher than stock (I think stock is 1000mhz, so 1001mhz is overclocking).

Undervolting: lowering the voltage ANY amount lower than stock (I think at the highest frequency, stock is 62... but feel free to correct me anyone. So 61 is undervolting).

Obviously you need to increase frequency or decrease voltage more than that to get any real benefit, but those are the technical meanings.

When you raise the frequency, you've got to raise the voltage as well. What quickclock has given you is ONE set of frequencies, and their corresponding lowest voltage-- and recorded it as an easy to apply "profile". I'm guessing that's the "balanced" profile (but maybe your CPU just isn't that great).

Now, you can go to the "highspeed" profile, which will increase the frequency even more, but also increase the voltage (and drain battery life).
You can also choose the "battery saver" profile, which will lower the frequency but also lower the voltage, meaning better battery life.

I assume you already knew all that, so I hope you're still with me.

Now when people say they're "overclocked and undervolted," let's go back to our technical meanings. Pretty much anyone will be able to lower your voltage from stock to, say 61vsel, and raise your frequency to 1001mhz without crashing. That's technically overclocked and undervolted. Now, you're obviously not going to get much benefit from that, but depending on your processor, you may be able to lower the voltage even more, and increase the frequency even more. Maybe you can get to 60vsels and 1200mhz. You'll see a little benefit from that-- you'll get a little longer battery life, and a little faster processor. How far you can push it depends on your individual processor. How far does YOUR processor allow you to push it? Well, you can test it out by picking a frequency and changing the voltage one at a time until it crashes. But Quickclock has already done that for you. You just enter the frequency you want, and it tells you the lowest voltage you can go to. So if you don't want to use their recommended profiles, just play around with it, entering frequencies and seeing what the voltage is, until you find the spot that you like best. (at some point, your frequency will simply be too high and you won't be able to up the voltage enough... the vsels will turn yellow at this point, your phone will crash, and quickclock may even tell you it's a bad idea to use those settings).

Some processors aren't all that great, and you can't overclock much without having to raise the voltage a lot. Some are really good, and you can raise the frequency a ton while keeping the voltage low.

So to answer your question... yes, you can raise the frequency and keep your voltage close to stock... but how MUCH you can raise the frequency depends on your processor. Maybe it's a little, maybe it's a lot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones