• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Overclocking the HTC Desire HD

ral

Android Expert
I was wondering how far you guys have pushed your HTC Desire HD. I have read of people pushing their devices all the way up to 1.7-1.8 GHz, with advice that pushing beyond 1.5 GHz yields little benefit.

The most I have pushed to far is:

1.15 GHz @ 1075 vdd with ARHD. This is actually the ROM default. The probablt does not generate more heat than default for a stock ROM which is 1024 MHz @ 1200 vdd.

1.2 GHz @ 1125 vdd, which I later reduced to 1100 vdd, on Blackout ICS.

When I was into over-clocking PC's, almost a decade ago, we used to consider any stable speed we could achieve on default voltage as safe. To test stability we used to use Prime95 which would detect computational errors in what would seem to be stable over-clocks.

Not really overclocked myself, tbh. I know that doing it too high for prolonged periods could be detrimental to the handset (sure you already know though, as you've been overclocking PC's) :)

Reactions: ral
Running any electronics device hotter reduces its life. But if the life of the processor is say ten years... and you cut it by half... :smokingsomb:

just devise some sort of means of testing to see if your OC is really doing much of anything. speed tests and quadrant scores have alot of variables that affect their outputs but can give you an idea if the only thing you change between each test is the processor speed.

as you said,be careful trying to OC at an UV :eek:

the thunderbolt was OCable to 1.9 ghz,but was not very stable there. stock was 1ghz,and alot of folks liked to run at 1.4 and had no issues.

my personal experience was anything over stock didnt really affect much other than quadrant scores- YMMV(your mileage may vary) but my phone nothing was perceptively different between stock and any OC i tried.

now my first android was an OG droid,whose stock speed was 600hz... and OCing it to 1000 made a noticable difference in its performace. reduced lag,opend apps faster,faster opening wep pages,etc.

my rezound is 1.5 from the factory,and when setcpu worked(gingerbread) i used to actually underclock it to 1-1.2 in efforts to get a little better battery ;)

I have only overclocked by 18% or so, so it might not be enough, but I can't tell the difference. Maybe I should focus on longer battery life.

Back
Top Bottom